Leadership & Your Career
Learn leadership principles at The Luther H. Hodges Center for Leadership at UNC Kenan-Flagler
The Executive MBA Program partners with the UNC Kenan-Flagler Luther H. Hodges Center for Leadership to offer integrated, high-quality leadership learning to accelerate your career.
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we believe that our students enhance their personal leadership skills through participation, practice, and evaluation. That’s why we have developed a leadership program based on our widely-recognized continuous learning model of principles, practice, feedback, and reflection to help you develop and enhance the leadership skills that are critical for business success. With a personalized approach, you can adapt the leadership curriculum to reach your specific goals. Whether you are one step from the C-Suite at a small organization, or moving into a middle-level role at a Fortune 500 company, you can create a leadership curriculum designed around your objectives.
UNC Kenan-Flagler is:
- Ranked #7 by Bloomberg Business Week as a Top School for Leadership
- The only Executive MBA program to utilize The Center for Creative Leadership’s (CCL) Benchmarks 360 assessment tool and Certified Benchmarks Coaches. The CCL has been recognized as one of the top providers of leadership development worldwide.
Learn leadership principles in the Executive MBA Program at UNC Kenan-Flagler
- Leadership core courses: You will learn leadership theory and principles through core courses.
- Leadership elective courses: Weekend and Evening MBA students can choose from a wide range of leadership elective courses. Two of the most popular are Leading in the Middle and Negotiations. After graduation, you can take unlimited leadership and other elective courses for a nominal fee.
Apply leadership principles through practice
- Teambuilding: Collaboration and teamwork are integrated into UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA culture and curriculum. As in the business world, your success will depend on your team working together to complete course projects.
- Networking: As an EMBA student, you’ll be invited to various networking events. You'll also have access to UNC Kenan-Flagler's alumni database, where you can connect with career advisers and network with UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni. > More on UNC Kenan-Flagler Alumni Network
- Management simulations: You will participate in hands-on simulations that mirror real-life leadership challenges.
Gain feedback on your leadership skills and progress
- Individual, peer and management assessments: You’ll gain insight on your leadership abilities through feedback from your peers, staff and managers using the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) Benchmarks 360 survey, a world-renowned global leadership development tool. This feedback will be invaluable as you develop and refine your Professional Development Plan.
- Throughout the MBA program, you’ll participate in other personal and peer assessments so you can track your progress.
Reflect and develop action plans to grow as a leader
- Professional Development Plan (PDP): You will capitalize on your leadership feedback by creating your PDP, which includes specific, actionable steps you will take to enhance your leadership skills and advance your career.
- Students have unlimited access to the UNC Kenan-Flagler Career & Leadership staff, who are seasoned coaches.
In addition to the extensive leadership and career services outlined above:
- Weekend Executive MBA students will also receive ongoing leadership coaching from a certified executive coach throughout their time in the program. You will meet one-on-one with your leadership coach at least 6 times throughout the MBA experience to deep dive into your leadership development and thread together your learning experiences over time. All certified coaches follow a specific coaching regimen outlined by UNC Kenan-Flagler Career & Leadership to ensure a consistent, high-quality and impactful leadership development experience for every student.
- Evening Executive MBA students will receive a Leadership Coaching session to examine the results of a 360 assessment, and help them develop a plan of action. This personal coaching session will help you understand your leadership style, create an action plan for success, and identify the strengths of your leadership. In addition, the Leadership Coaching session will provide you with an opportunity to ask specific questions regarding the assessment and interpretation of results. This comprehensive session is one example of the multiple leadership activities for Evening Executive MBA students.