First, you need extensive work experience and a strong academic background. Then show us you will thrive in UNC´s collaborative, team-based environment. Top it off with a sense of humor and a positive leadership style, and you´ve got our attention!
Professional work experience
Our students are more seasoned than typical MBA students. They add depth to class discussions by sharing work challenges and solutions.
- Weekend MBA and Evening MBA Programs: Five years of professional work experience is required, with eight preferred.
- Global OneMBA Program: Six years of work experience is required, with ten preferred. We look for current or expected global management responsibilities.
You must have a bachelor´s degree or equivalent. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed or taken must be submitted. We do accept university issued official electronic transcripts.
GMAT/GRE scores and waiver information
Global OneMBA® Program: The GMAT or GRE is optional for the Global OneMBA®. It may be recommended for individuals with limited quantitative experience.
Weekend and Evening Programs: An official GMAT or GRE score is required of applicants. However, waivers are available. Please read below for additional information.
You may qualify for a GMAT/GRE waiver if you have:
- CPA or CFA designation
- Master's or PhD in a technical field
- Terminal degree (e.g. JD, MD)
- Significant years of work experience (evaluated on a case-by-case basis)
Please note that no GMAT/GRE waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee admission to the program.
Have additional questions? Review our GMAT waiver FAQ.
GMAT Waiver Request Form
Additional GMAT/GRE Notes:
- Self-reported scores are not official, but can be used for preliminary review of your application.
- UNC institution code for the GMAT is D40-HL-07 and for the GRE is 0024. We will consider test results received within three weeks of the application deadline.
- UNC offers you a free GMAT practice test.
Basic business knowledge preferred
You will need a general understanding of accounting, statistics, finance, and economics. You also need to be proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, including financial and statistical functions.
Proven leadership ability is a must. While experience managing people is preferred, team leadership and management of projects, budgets or products also count. Exposure to international business is a plus.
We´re looking for strong written and verbal communication skills. We use the essay section of the application and the in-person interview to evaluate this.