First, you need extensive work experience and a strong academic background. Then show us you will thrive in UNC's collaborative, team-based environment. Top it off with a sense of humor and a positive leadership style, and you've got our attention!
Professional work experience
Our students are more seasoned than typical MBA students. They add depth to class discussions by sharing work challenges and solutions.
- Weekend MBA and Evening MBA Programs: Five years of professional work experience is required, with eight preferred.
You must have a bachelor´s degree or equivalent. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed or taken must be submitted. We do accept university issued official electronic transcripts.
GMAT/GRE scores and waiver information
Weekend and Evening Programs: An official GMAT or GRE score is required of applicants. However, waivers are available. Please read below for additional information.
You may qualify for a GMAT/GRE waiver if you have:
- CPA or CFA designation
- Master's or PhD in a technical field
- Terminal degree (e.g. JD, MD)
- Significant years of work experience (evaluated on a case-by-case basis)
Please note that no GMAT/GRE waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee admission to the program.
Have additional questions? Review our GMAT waiver FAQ.
GMAT Waiver Request Form
Additional GMAT/GRE Notes:
- Self-reported scores are not official, but can be used for preliminary review of your application.
- UNC institution code for the GMAT is D40-HL-07 and for the GRE is 0024. We will consider test results received within three weeks of the application deadline.
- UNC offers you a free GMAT practice test.
Basic business knowledge preferred
You will need a general understanding of accounting, statistics, finance, and economics. You also need to be proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, including financial and statistical functions.
Proven leadership ability is a must. While experience managing people is preferred, team leadership and management of projects, budgets or products also count. Exposure to international business is a plus.
We're looking for strong written and verbal communication skills. We use the essay section of the application and the in-person interview to evaluate this.