UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School

Health & Safety


Global Travel Registry
Travel Warnings
Insurance & Risk Mgmt
U.S. D.O.S. Resources
Addt'l Resources
  • Overview

    UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School encourages safe, culturally respectful global travel by Kenan-Flagler students, faculty and staff and wants to provide all of the necessary information to make those travels as successful as possible. The University has established travel policies and recommendations to help protect members of the UNC community while traveling.

    A flyer with UNC’s travel-related requirements can be viewed online.

    Global Travel Registry

    • All UNC students, faculty, and staff traveling on UNC programs or projects are required to submit their itinerary to the registry. If you are a student on a Kenan-Flagler Undergraduate Business Program you are automatically enrolled in the Global Travel Registry. Login online.
    • View the current warnings and restrictions on UNC-sponsored travel.
    • Questions? Contact Andrew Hunt, executive assistant in the Office of the Vice Chancellor and Provost, andrew_hunt@unc.edu or +1.919.962.2198.

    University Policies

    Policy Concerning Global Study, Travel, and Research
    Authorization for University Travel
    Authorization for Travel by Senior University Administrators

    Emergency Communications

    • Faculty, staff and students who experience an emergency while traveling abroad on University business should contact the UNC Department of Public Safety (DPS) at +1.919.962.8100.
    • Public Safety is first in the chain of response. Students should ask DPS to contact the Dean of Students on call to find the appropriate resources for assistance. DPS will assist faculty and staff with identifying a human resources administrator or Employee Assistance Program officer who can provide support.
    • If you were enrolled in HTH insurance before August 1, 2017, please contact HTH Worldwide for emergency evacuation and other 24/7 health insurance assistance, or call collect from outside the U.S. at +1.610.254.8771, toll free within the U.S. at 800.257.4823, or email assist@hthworldwide.com.
    • If you were enrolled in GeoBlue insurance on or after August 1, 2017, please contact GeoBlue for emergency evacuation and other 24/7 health insurance assistance, or call collect from outside the U.S. at +1.610.254.8771, toll free within the U.S. at 800.257.4823, or email globalhealth@geo-blue.com.
    • In an emergency, seek appropriate medical care immediately, and then call HTH Worldwide or GeoBlue. Insurance coverage must be bought in advance of travel.

    Global Risk Response Team

    • The Global Risk Response Team is charged with assessing and responding to emerging travel and work risks and is empowered to disapprove travel to international sites when necessary and/or to remove students, staff and faculty from sites which are no longer safe or tenable. Research sites are included.
    • The Global Risk Response Team is composed of:
    • Jonathan Hartlyn, Senior Associate Dean for Social Sciences and Global Programs
    • Andrew Hunt, Global Travel Risk Programs Specialist
    • Mary Beth Koza, Director, Environment, Health, & Safety
    • Bob Miles, Associate Dean for Study Abroad and International Exchanges
    • Desirée Rieckenberg, Senior Associate Dean of Students
    • Ron Strauss, Executive Vice Provost and Chief International Officer
    • Katie Bowler Young, Director of Global Relations
    Next »
  • Global Travel Registry

    • All UNC students, faculty, and staff traveling on UNC programs, projects, or business are required to submit their itinerary to the registry.
    • View the current warnings and restrictions for students on UNC-sponsored travel.
    • Questions? Contact Andrew Hunt, executive assistant in the Office of the Vice Chancellor and Provost, andrew_hunt@unc.edu or +1.919.962.2198.« PrevNext »
  • Study, Travel and Research in Countries under Travel Warnings

    All student and faculty university-related travel must be registered in the UNC Global Travel Registry.

    At Carolina, there are many opportunities for international education and research through organized study-abroad programs, more informal educational trips and independent study and research funded in whole or in part through the University. As our global engagement increases, additional risk is inevitable as activities are affected by war, terrorism, political unrest, natural catastrophes and epidemics worldwide. The University endeavors to balance the value of participation in international educational activities against the potential risk to its students and employees of such participation. In balancing these factors, the University relies on information from the U.S. Department of State and its Travel Warnings and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and its Travel Notices. Consequently, the University has developed its Policy Concerning Global Study, Travel, and Research, which regulates activities in countries for which the Department of State has issued a Travel Warning and countries for which the Centers for Disease Control has issued a Travel Notice.

    Visit global.unc.edu for additional information.« PrevNext »
  • Travel Health Insurance

    As mandated by the University of North Carolina General Administration, all faculty, staff, and students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) traveling abroad in affiliation with the University are required to purchase international health, evacuation, and repatriation insurance, provided by HTH Worldwide/GeoBlue. University affiliated travel includes Study Abroad programs, independent and sponsored research, internships for credit or any other program tied to university sponsorship or academic or practicum credit. The Travel and Study Abroad Insurance Program is available to students, faculty, staff and their families while traveling abroad. In the event of injury or sickness, this program facilitates and pays for their medical treatment while in the foreign country.

    The following countries require written agreement from the insurance operator prior to travel:
    Afghanistan North Korea
    Algeria Somalia
    South Sudan

    Insurance for Travel through Study Abroad

    Students traveling on a Kenan-Flagler Global Program will be automatically enrolled in and billed for insurance by the Global Programs Office.

    Insurance for Travel Outside of Study Abroad

    All other students, faculty, and staff who need to purchase coverage or obtain additional information should contact Janet Hoernke in Risk Management Services at +1.919.962.6681 or janet_hoernke@unc.edu.

    The University of North Carolina System has contracted with HTH Worldwide/GeoBlue to provide comprehensive coverage at a low cost. Students may purchase coverage for non-University affiliated travel as well as long as it is in conjunction with an eligible program mentioned above. If non-affiliated travel coverage is desired by students, then the requirement is a minimum of 2 days and a maximum combined total of 30.

    Personal and vacation travel coverage for faculty and staff are not eligible under this program. Please contact Janet Hoernke with questions regarding eligibility.

    Trip Insurance

    Trip insurance is a policy separate from travel health insurance, and it can provide coverage in situations such as trip cancellations or a need to reschedule. Insurance should be obtainable through your travel agent when you book tickets.

    Risk Management

    Road Safety

    A dangerous and often overlooked risk when traveling abroad is road safety. This is true not only for those operating or riding as a passenger in a motor vehicle but also for pedestrians. This includes the use of motorcycles and similar vehicles for which statistics for injuries and deaths are significant. Helmets may not always be legally required but they are always advised. Additional considerations are international drivers license reciprocity rules, road security, rental vehicles and knowledge of the varying laws, rules and conditions of the road.


    Anyone can be a victim of crime at home or when traveling. Know how to prevent and respond to crimes occurring in another country. Prevention begins at home when you pack. Leave behind items that might make you a target of crime. Learn about local laws and customs. Avoid dangerous and politically charged areas. Have all of your documents in order, both with you and at home; photocopy all personal identification cards, passport and credit cards and travel with one copy, leaving another at home. Make sure you have full travel insurance. In the event of an emergency while traveling abroad on University business, contact the UNC Department of Public Safety (DPS) at +1.919.962.8100.

    Illness and Injury

    Plan ahead for illnesses that can be prevented. Educate yourself on what types of illnesses are prevalent in the region you will be visiting and what the best methods of prevention are, ranging from immunizations prior to departure to behavioral adaptations upon arrival. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides details about travel abroad and recommended immunizations. UNC students can access the UNC International Travel Clinic for immunizations; faculty and staff should consult with UNC Department of Environment, Health and Safety; a family doctor; or a travel clinic such as Passport Health. Additionally, take precaution to prevent accidents and injuries and consider following U.S. laws and regulations about safety on the road — such as wearing helmets to bike — and using latex gloves and safety gear during field work.


    Students may not travel to a country that has been designated a “red” country in the UNC travel warning system due to ongoing conflicts or political instability.

    Natural Disasters

    Prior to travel, review the U.S. Department of State’s country reports to determine the area’s susceptibility to natural disasters such as floods, hurricanes, and earthquakes.

    Discrimination and Disability Access

    Travelers should be aware of the laws and customs of the countries and regions to which they travel. What is considered discrimination in the U.S. may translate differently in other countries, where issues such as gender or sexual orientation may be viewed differently. Trip planners should make this part of travel orientation programs. Travelers should also conduct independent research on these issues. Additionally, individuals with disabilities should conduct research about how they will manage challenges in environments that may not have the same resources found at home.« PrevNext »
  • U.S. Department of State Resources

    Travel Warnings — UNC categorizes the risk level of traveling to foreign countries based on U.S. Department of State and/or Centers for Disease Control travel notices. According to those notices and UNC’s subsequent categorization of a country’s risk level, certain conditions or restrictions on university-related travel may apply. Please visit UNC’s chart indicating the current risk level of world nations and impact on university-related travel.
    State Department Country Fact Sheets — The State Department provides information on every country in the world, such as the location of the U.S. embassy and any consular offices; whether you need a visa; crime and security information; health and medical conditions; drug penalties and localized hot spots.
    Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) — If you are planning to travel abroad, register for the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive the latest travel warnings, alerts and information about the country where you will be traveling.
    Student Travel Information — Visit the State Department’s newly designed studentsabroad.state.gov website for information specific to students interested in traveling abroad.
    Passport Information — Info about obtaining and renewing a U.S. passport. Please allow yourself plenty of time — up to six months — before your departure to apply for or renew your passport. Also, each fall UNC Global hosts a Passport Drive to enable the UNC community to apply for or renew a U.S. passport.
    A Safe Trip Abroad – The U.S. Department of State provides advice and travel tips for a successful trip abroad from the start« PrevNext »
  • Additional Resources

    Traveler Health

    A number of U.S. and global institutions maintain information about outbreaks of disease and other issues that may affect health, on a country by country basis. For more information on health, including recommended vaccinations, visit:
    U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    World Health Organization

    The UNC Department of Environmental Health and Safety has additional resources on travel immunizations.

    The UNC Internal Medicine Travel Clinic provides comprehensive consultations about reducing the risk of illness during travel, including immunizations and prescriptions for medication to prevent travel-related illness. Campus Health Services also offers an International Travel Clinic for those UNC community members eligible for CHS services who will be traveling abroad.

    Cultural Awareness for UNC Students

    The Center for Global Initiatives annually hosts GO!, a global orientation on culture and ethics for UNC students.

    UNC Global Passport Drive

    Each fall, UNC Global hosts a passport drive for UNC students, faculty, staff and their families. Passport photos are available from the UNC One Card Office, and officials from the U.S. Department of State will be on campus for two days to accept passport applications and renewal applications.« Prev