"ASW was one of the key drivers for my decision to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler. The summer courses created a smooth transition from a professional world to an academic setting. Over the course of ASW, I not only had plenty of time to make great friends, but I also prepared myself to confidently enter Mod I classes."
- Turner Inscoe MBA '06
Analytic Skills Workshop (ASW) brochure
The MBA Program has two summer sessions prior to the start of the academic year. Most students participate in one or both of these sessions. Analytic Skills Workshop (ASW) has 4 central objectives.
- Academic Preparation - Workshops in microeconomics, finance, statistics, and financial accounting prepare you for the MBA program. You must also meet a required skill level in calculus.
- Student Training - We provide training in three areas to help prepare you for your MBA career.
- Learn software you will use frequently, such as Excel, PowerPoint, and others.
- Gain practice and get guidance in areas such as networking and resume and cover letter writing. Gain early exposure to the demands of a full-time job search.
- Learn how to analyze cases, an important skill required for classes in which case analysis is the primary learning method.
- Time to Relocate - Comfortably settle into your new home and the Chapel Hill community before the start of August classes.
- Networking and Socializing with Fellow Students - ASW is a fantastic opportunity to become acquainted with your classmates. Evening social events follow daytime classes.
2013 Summer Dates
Each class meets daily (M-F) for slightly more than an hour. Your schedule is determined after ASW study groups are assigned.
ASW Session I: June 10 - June 28
- Analytical Tools (Statistics)
- Financial Accounting
ASW Session II: July 8 - July 26
- Accounting, Microeconomics, Finance, and Analytical Tools
Tools of Financial Markets: July 29 - 31
(prerequisite: ASW I or II)
- Introduction to financial technology tools
MBA Tools of Financial Markets brochure