Military leaders make great accountants.
The skills required to be an exceptional leader in the military — problem solving, strategy, planning, teamwork — are the same skills required to be a successful professional accountant. With a Master of Accounting (MAC) degree, you can transition into the private sector or continue your career in the military.
U.S. Army Major, and UNC Master of Accounting student, Brad Bertinot describes his transition from the battleground to the boardroom and how the UNC MAC, one of the country’s leading Master’s program for military officers and veterans, has prepared him for the business world.
SPECIAL WEBINAR: Why Military Leaders Make Great Accountants
Want to learn more firsthand? Join us on September 27 for a military-specific webinar where we will introduce the in-demand accounting profession, the powerful MAC degree, and the online and on-campus formats of UNC's top-ranked program. The session will also feature special guests who have been very successful in both the military and the classroom.
>> Learn more and register
The perfect path to the c-suite.
Because an accounting education provides a deep understanding of financial reporting, tax strategy, and auditing principles, the MAC degree and CPA licensure are excellent additions to the skills you’ve already mastered in the military. With this well-rounded expertise, you will be highly sought after by major corporations and accounting firms alike, which makes accounting one of the top careers for veterans.
>> Learn more about the accounting profession
One of the best colleges for military spouses, too.
Flexibility is essential, isn’t it? There are few professions that offer the same flexibility as accounting: geographic mobility, work-life balance, and diversity across a wide range of industries.
>> Review sample curriculum calendars
Earn your degree from any location.
Our online delivery format helps to make UNC one of the best online schools for veterans. You can earn your MAC degree from one of the nation’s top-ranked accounting programs…without relocating. The flexibility of an online military graduate program, with the strong reputation, top-notch faculty, and impressive curriculum that UNC Kenan-Flagler is known for.
>> Read more about our innovative online format
No accounting experience necessary.
Whether you’re interested in our online format or our on-campus format, no prerequisite work or work experience is required — we have our own boot camp! This said, your military experience will serve you well as you’ll be entering a professional where leadership, precision, and attention to detail is not only welcomed, but required.
Put your military benefits to work.
Veterans Choice Act, Post 9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program
UNC-Chapel Hill, including UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School, is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs as a training facility for students receiving military education benefits. We are in compliance with the Veterans Choice Act as well as proud participants in the Yellow Ribbon Program for students who do not qualify for in-state tuition.
We recommend following these steps below to learn more about these incredible opportunities:
1. Review the Education Programs administered by Veterans Affairs and start your application for the correct benefit, (often the Post 9/11 GI Bill). Be sure to request your Certificate of Eligibility, which is needed in order to begin processing your benefits.
2. Review UNC Chapel Hill’s information regarding the Veterans Choice Act and in-state residency.
3. If you believe you do not qualify for the benefit of paying in-state tuition through the Veterans Choice Act and you are 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, then you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program to assist in covering the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. Contact the MAC Financial Aid Assistant Director for the UNC Chapel Hill Yellow Ribbon application.
>> Read more about GI Bill educational benefits
>> Learn about other UNC veteran resources
Education assistance for transitioning military.
We know that the military to civilian transition can be difficult financially. As a highly ranked and preferred military graduate school, we are proud to offer all U.S. military service members — both active duty and veterans — the opportunity to apply for the following military education benefits:
- Military experience can earn you a fellowship: Military experience is a highly valued factor for fellowships, which are awarded on a competitive basis. Candidates with both strong admission credentials (GMAT/GRE scores and undergraduate GPA) and military experience will be most competitive. Awards range from $2,000 to $25,000. All admitted students are considered for fellowships automatically. No additional application is required.
- No fee to apply: Simply submit verification of your current military status (e.g., DD214, recent LES, or other) to our admissions office to request the waiver before you submit your application. (Unfortunately, we cannot refund fees already paid.) Military dependents with valid identification are also eligible to receive the application fee waiver.
The word on the street.
If you’re not convinced that accounting is one of the best jobs for veterans, you don’t have to take our word for it. Read what authorities on post military opportunities have to say about the career of accounting, military friendly schools, and the top companies that hire veterans.
GI Jobs recently ranked the top 25 good paying jobs in their annual “Hot Jobs for Veterans” report, where Accountant & Auditor ranked #4, with a median annual salary of $67,190. View the report.
by Victoria Media rates UNC as one of the best colleges for veterans, and one of the best online colleges for military by exceeding their stringent standards in several categories. View the ratings.
surveyed employers with more than 90 questions to ascertain the Best for Vets Employers of 2016. A MAC degree can increase your chances of being hired by some of the most desirable employers in the world:
- #4 PwC
- #10 Capital One
- #13 Bank of America
- #15 US Bank
- #16 Prudential Financial
>> Review a complete list of application requirements