Since 1997, the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies has fostered a culture of entrepreneurship at UNC. As an MBA enrichment concentration, we do not serve as a traditional career concentration where job placement is a core function of the program. Instead, we have set as an objective of our program to establish the leading US business school-based entrepreneurship curriculum and program preparing students to build an enduring entrepreneurial mindset to successfully make the transition to entrepreneurship through the course of their career.
All entrepreneurship courses offered at UNC Kenan-Flagler are elective-based allowing students the opportunity to immerse themselves in a custom tailored curriculum. A factor that sets our offerings apart is that the curriculum is complemented with innovative co-curricular offerings that enrich the learning experience.
Students may choose from three paths within the Entrepreneurship Enrichment Concentration: Founder, Funder, or Growth Executive/Intrapreneur.
- Founder competencies, curriculum choices, and co-curricular offerings are most appropriate for individuals seeking to found a new enterprise or join an early-stage venture on the management team.
- Funder curriculum choices and co-curricular offerings are recommended for individuals who hope to prepare to join professional investing groups in venture capital and private equity and lean private investing techniques.
- Growth Executive/Intrapreneur competencies, curriculum choices, and co-curricular offerings are recommended for those who would like to acquire skills to manage a growth-oriented private venture or serve as an intrapreneur in an existing enterprise.
Upon completion of foundation courses, students have the opportunity to immerse themselves in specialty entrepreneurship electives covering the Founder, Funder, and Growth Executive/Intrapreneur competencies.
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Business Plan Analysis
- Entrepreneur's Lab
- StartUp-UNC I: Technology Assessment
- StartUp-UNC II: Feasibility
- StartUp-UNC III: Strategy
- StartUp-UNC IV: Financing
- Strategic Value Creation for Life Science Companies
- Innovation & Design Thinking
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Venture Capital & Deal Structure
- Applied Venture Capital Concepts
- Applied Private Investment Management
- Managing the Growing Business
- Family Business I: Introduction to Family Enterprise
- Family Business II: Managing the Family Office and Enterprise