You already know that your military experience has taught you a great deal about leadership and working through conflict. At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we recognize that those same skills are hugely valuable when leveraged to create success in business. Military Veterans represent just under 10% of our enrolled MBA students, hailing from every branch of and role within the military, including Foreign Service. There is equally strong representation from women as in the larger student body.
UNC Kenan-Flagler helps you harness your military leadership experience and take your skills as a leader to the next level. View a short video (about 3 minutes) of students talking about these benefits:
- A fellow MBA military veteran talks about what she gained as a student here.
- Another student talks about his experience in The Leadership Initiative.
- Students talk about real-world Kenan Institute projects that provide on-the-ground experience while you are still a student. (Click the "Watch Video" link on the page.)
- Former naval officer and MBA 2010 talks about practical opportunities as a student to strengthen his business and leadership skills.
As a prospective student in the MBA Program, there is a wealth of resources available to you here. UNC Kenan-Flagler waives the MBA application fee for all US Military. We are part of the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program and provide up to $7,000 of your tuition, matched by the VA - potentially full tuition and fees for those who qualify.
Contact our Military Veterans Club to talk with current students who are military service members. Or talk to MBA Ambassadors, go to Contact an MBA Ambassador and click on "U.S. Military Service" under "Region."
Special Services for Vets
- MBA Application Fee Waiver All US military service members - both active duty and veterans - qualify. Submit verification of your current military status (e.g., DD214, recent LES, or other) to in our admissions office to request the waiver before you submit your application; we cannot refund fees already paid.
- The Post 9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program Non-NC resident students who qualify for 100% coverage through the Post 9/11 GI Bill should expect to be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program to cover all of their tuition and fee charges. Post 9/11 benefits cover the cost of NC resident tuition and fees for all students (regardless of residency status) who are eligible as well as student health insurance (for those enrolled in the school-sponsored plan). Non-NC resident students who are 100% eligible for Post 9/11 benefits should also expect to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon funding, which should cover the difference between NC resident and non-NC resident tuition that is not covered through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School is happy to support MBA veterans with the Yellow Ribbon Program to cover all tuition and fees. Act now:
- Apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program financial support through the VA.
- Those that qualify will receive a Certificate of Eligibility.
- Veterans admitted to Kenan-Flagler send the Certificate to the Full-Time MBA Program’s Registrar's Office, Attention: Michelle St. Martin. Students must also complete a Yellow Ribbon Application to secure funding through this program.
- Additional Resouces for US Military Applicants
- Military Veterans Club
- MBA Ambassador. Type "military" in the search box.