First, you need extensive work experience and a strong academic background. Then show us you will thrive in UNC´s collaborative, team-based environment. Top it off with a sense of humor and a positive leadership style, and you´ve got our attention!
Professional work experience
Our students are more seasoned than typical MBA students. They add depth to class discussions by sharing work challenges and solutions. We value advanced degrees, but they are not a substitute for work experience.
- Weekend MBA and Evening MBA Programs: Five years of professional work experience is required, with eight preferred.
- Global OneMBA Program: Seven years of work experience is required, with ten preferred. We look for current or expected global management responsibilities.
You must have a bachelor´s degree or equivalent. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed or taken must be submitted. We do accept university issued official electronic transcripts. We evaluate your ability to perform from your academic transcripts and Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
UNC Kenan-Flagler requires either an official GMAT or GRE score report of all applicants applying to the Weekend and Evening MBA programs. The GMAT and GRE are optional for the Global OneMBA program however we strongly recommend taking either of the tests if your academic records do not show strong quantitative skill.
You may qualify for a GMAT/GRE waiver if you are a CPA or CFA, or have a PhD or Master's in a technical field. The Admissions Committee will also consider, on a case-by-case basis, GMAT waiver requests based on years of work experience. Please note that no GMAT/GRE waiver is automatic and an approved waiver request does not guarantee admission to the program.
To be considered for a waiver, fill out the GMAT Waiver Request Form, and upload your resume and all academic transcripts as part of your application for admission.
Additional GMAT/GRE Notes:
- Self-reported scores are not official, but can be used for preliminary review of your application.
- UNC institution code for the GMAT is D40-HL-07 and for the GRE is 0024. We will consider test results received within three weeks of the application deadline.
- UNC offers you a free GMAT practice test. Visit http://www.gmat.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/
Basic business knowledge required
You will need basic accounting, statistics, finance, and economics. You also need to be proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, including financial and statistical functions. If you have a knowledge gap, consider taking undergraduate courses before applying.
Proven leadership ability is a must. While experience managing people is preferred, team leadership and management of projects, budgets or products also count. Exposure to international business is a plus.
We´re looking for strong written and verbal communication skills. We use the essay section of the application and the in-person interview to evaluate this.