First, you need extensive work experience and a strong academic background. Then show us you will thrive in UNC´s collaborative, team-based environment. Top it off with a sense of humor and a positive leadership style, and you´ve got our attention!
Professional work experience
Our students are more seasoned than typical MBA students. They add depth to class discussions by sharing work challenges and solutions. We value advanced degrees, but they are not a substitute for work experience.
- Weekend MBA and Evening MBA Programs: Five years of professional work experience is required, with eight preferred.
- Global OneMBA Program: Seven years of work experience is required, with ten preferred. We look for current or expected global management responsibilities.
You must have a bachelor´s degree or equivalent. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed or taken must be submitted. We do accept university issued official electronic transcripts. We evaluate your ability to perform from your academic transcripts and Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
- Weekend and Evening MBA Programs: The GMAT/GRE is required. You may qualify for a GMAT/GRE waiver if you have a PhD or Master´s in a technical field. To be considered, send us a letter requesting the waiver at least one month before the application deadline. You must also include a current resume and transcripts of all academic work.
- Global OneMBA Program: The GMAT/GRE is optional. We recommend taking the test if your academic records do not show strong quantitative skills.
- We do not accept GMAT/GRE scores more than five years old. We prefer to receive scores before the application deadline but will consider scores that arrive within three weeks. The GMAT code for UNC's EMBA Programs is D40-HL-17 and the GRE code is: 0739.
Basic business knowledge required
You will need basic accounting, statistics, finance, and economics. You also need to be proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, including financial and statistical functions. If you have a knowledge gap, consider taking undergraduate courses before applying.
Proven leadership ability is a must. While experience managing people is preferred, team leadership and management of projects, budgets or products also count. Exposure to international business is a plus.
We´re looking for strong written and verbal communication skills. We use the essay section of the application and the in-person interview to evaluate this.