From the moment you arrive on campus, your real estate education is tailored to your needs and coordinated by the MBA Real Estate Academy. The Academy’s goal is to create a collaborative and accessible learning community, offering real estate concentrators the most comprehensive level of engagement and stewardship within the rigorous full-time MBA program. Working closely with academic, career, and club resources, the Academy facilitates an all-inclusive approach to prepare our students to be leaders in development and investment.
View the full MBA Real Estate Student Journey.
The Academy is advised by a board of recent graduates who ensure our academic and extracurricular offerings are informed by industry needs.
Academy Advisory Board Members 2022–
Real Estate courses
To obtain your concentration in real estate, required courses are:
- Cases in Real Estate
- Financing Real Estate in Today’s Capital Markets
- Real Estate Development Process (with or without a project)
- Real Estate Process
- Excel Modeling for Real Estate
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Macroeconomics and Securities Markets
- Construction Basics
- International Real Estate Investment
- Argus Certification Training
Beyond the classroom
The UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA Real Estate program delivers a “Real World Real Estate” experience to our students. Leveraging innovative programming including our student-managed real estate private equity fund and hands-on capstone development course, invested faculty and staff, and engaged alumni across the nation, we prepare graduates for a wide array of real estate positions in nearly every corner of the industry.
Professional development & experiential learning
- UNC Real Estate Conference – Students receive free registration to the premier real estate conference in the region, bringing together industry leaders, students, faculty and alumni for a lively discussion of current real estate trends.
- Career Treks — Coordinating with academic coursework, career treks offered throughout the year to multiple cities give access to top real estate employers and projects.
- Executives in Residence Program – Senior C-Suite executives from development, REIT, investment, and asset management firms provide one on one advice and guidance for students.
- Global Immersion Elective — This for-credit elective provides a global perspective of real estate markets beyond our borders.
- Mentoring — First year students are matched with a real estate alum and a second-year real estate student, providing plenty of opportunity for mentoring and growth.
- Argus Certification —Each year Argus offers a rigorous multi-day class leading to certification.
- Industry Association Involvement — The Wood Center funds real estate association memberships for students to engage with industry professionals.
- Funding for Student Development Projects — Funding is provided for project expenses in our capstone development class, making for a real-world learning experience.
- Speaker Series — Leveraging a large and high-level real estate alumni group and industry leaders, The Wood Center hosts a speaker’s series to showcase informative viewpoints on current real estate topics.
- Brown Bag Lunches — Organized by the MBA Real Estate Club and the real estate faculty and staff, time between classes is used to present real estate topics in a speaker or open discussion format.
- Speed Networking — The MBA Real Estate Club organizes an annual event to further develop and refine quintessential networking skills.
- Alumni Network — As one of the school’s most engaged alumni networks, our real estate alumni actively organize multiple events across major markets and share job openings, news and relevant information.