Pre-MBA Summer Programs
The Pre-MBA Summer Programs consist of Analytical Skills Workshop (ASW) and Tools of Financial Markets (TOFM).
Analytical Skills Workshop
The value of the Analytical Skills Workshop to incoming MBA students cannot be overemphasized. Every student is required to have a working knowledge of microeconomics, probability and statistics, finance, and financial accounting. ASW offers you the opportunity to refresh these concepts or gain exposure to them. In addition to this strong academic foundation, the MBA Program has added in a number of important career, technical, and program-related workshops. Lastly, ASW offers an outstanding opportunity to network and social with your fellow classmates prior to Orientation as well as time to comfortably transition to the Chapel Hill community prior to the start of classes in August.
- Coursework in Analytical Tools (Statistics), Financial Accounting, and Finance. Additionally primer workshops in Microeconomics are offered to all enrolled ASW students.
- Career workshops to help you prepare your resume, hone your networking skills, and explore MBA careers. These workshops provide a critical important start to your personalized career search which begins in August with the start of classes.
- Various workshops preparing you with essential skills for program success including microeconomics, case analysis, presentation skills, Excel, and PowerPoint. In addition you will be exposed to the numerous systems and communication platforms utilized by MBA students.
ASW participants are required to take a minimum of two academic courses from among the Analytical Tools, Financial Accounting, and Finance offerings. Most students elect to take all three courses. Each academic course meets daily and workshops are offered periodically throughout the ASW calendar.
"ASW was one of the key drivers for my decision to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler. The summer courses created a smooth transition from a professional world to an academic setting. The ASW workshops also greatly prepared me for the demanding MBA job search which begins early in the year. ASW gave me the confidence to meet these challenges."
— Student, MBA Class of 2015
Tools of Financial Markets (TOFM)
The MBA Program and the Capital Markets Lab offer a financial technology program — The Tools of Financial Markets — to provide students with an early introduction to the financial technology tools used each day by Wall Street professionals. Students completing this program at the conclusion of ASW will be well-prepared to conduct financial research and to gain more comprehensive perspectives and a deeper understanding of financial market activity that will raise the likelihood of success in the finance job search.
Access to Bloomberg and other financial technology to hone marketable interview skills and enhance effectiveness in summer internships beginning day one.
- Research opportunities, using identical technology that interviewers and recruiters use, for knowledgeable and well-trained presentation in interviews.
- Dynamic financial technology training in a pressure-free setting with no competing demands or distractions.
“Being a career switcher, I was interested in gaining exposure to Bloomberg and FactSet as early as possible. The Tools of Financial Markets gave me the much-needed exposure and afforded the opportunity to experience the power and effectiveness of the Capital Markets Lab, which is an incredible resource. I highly recommend attending The Tools of Financial Markets. It gives unique insight into the industry and allows students to test the tools that drive the financial markets.”
— Student, MBA Class of 2015
2016 Summer Dates
Each class meets daily, Monday through Friday. Your exact schedule is determined after ASW study groups are assigned.
Analytical Skills Workshop: July 11 - July 29
Tools of Financial Markets: August 1 - August 3