"The student-run Private Equity Fund bridges academic learning to the real world; it sets us apart." Zac Frost (MBA 2010) More
Playing Venture Capitalist
MBA teams in the Venture Capital Investment Competition interview real entrepreneurs seeking funding. More
Equipping Aspiring Entrepreneurs
Amit Singh (EMBA 2003) developed plans for starting his global IT outsourcing business in UNC’s Soft Launch program. More
Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
UNC Leads the Way in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
At UNC Kenan-Flagler, an entrepreneurial spirit is engrained in the school’s culture. Since 1997, the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies has offered students, staff and faculty the resources to identify and evaluate valuable entrepreneurial opportunities, as well as get connected to mentors and coaches in one of the nation's most vibrant entrepreneurial hotspots, Research Triangle Park (RTP).
UNC Kenan-Flagler has a long history of award-winning innovation in entrepreneurial pedagogy. With over 20 MBA electives, the entrepreneurship curriculum at UNC Kenan-Flagler covers a broad spectrum, including specialty topics such as family business, entrepreneurship through acquisition, and social entrepreneurship. At UNC Kenan-Flagler, we live out the entrepreneurial spirit every day in our dedication to fostering a learning environment that is collaborative, hands-on and results-driven.
The Center for Entrepreneurial Studies boasts a wide range of programs, conferences and competitions which deeply enrich the UNC Kenan-Flagler experience and allow students to engage their entrepreneurial interests through a variety of perspectives. Programs include:
- The renowned Venture Capital Investment Competition (VCIC), founded and managed by UNC Kenan-Flagler, is a worldwide network of events which attracts 1,200 of the top entrepreneurial MBA students from three continents.
- The student-run Kenan-Flagler Private Equity Fund, launched in 2007, with $4.4 million of committed capital under management – is the first and only student-run fund at a top-tier global business school with the goal to provide real returns to its limited partners.
- The Sustainable VCIC is an annual competition that hosts eight of the nation’s top entrepreneurship and sustainability MBA programs.
- The Carolina Entrepreneurial Fellows program matches entrepreneurial students with two startups for a one-of-a-kind summer experience.
- The Carolina Venture Fellows program offers elite MBAs the opportunity to work for a venture capital firm in a structured twelve-month apprenticeship.
- The Alternative Investments Fellows program connects MBAs with rare summer internship opportunities at private equity and hedge funds.