To protect our community and visitors as we return to campus, we developed UNC’s Roadmap for Returning to Campus guidelines, which include safety protocols for wearing masks, physical distancing, sanitizing and facility modifications.
- Everyone is required to wear face masks when you are in our buildings, as well as outside when you are unable to maintain 6-foot physical distancing.
- Students: For your safety, do not return to the McColl or the Kenan Center until your class orientations or classes begin. Dates for the return to classes are different for each program: Undergraduate Business, MBA (full-time MBA, Evening MBA, Weekend Executive MBA and online MBA) and Master of Accounting (on-campus and online) programs. In-person visits with staff and faculty will be by appointment in designated conference rooms.
- Visitors: Please come to our buildings only when you have scheduled appointments. Your meetings will be held in reserved conference rooms modified for physical distancing; we have posted maximum occupancy and cues about where to sit.
In addition to requiring that everyone wears face masks, we implemented changes to our buildings:
- 5-foot physical distancing in tiered classrooms
- 3-foot physical distancing guidelines in classrooms
- 6-foot physical distancing guidelines in public spaces such as meeting rooms, conference rooms, reception and waiting areas, and public seating
- Designated flow of foot traffic in and out of the buildings, hallways, stairwells, classrooms and public spaces
- Occupancy requirements for classrooms, meeting rooms and offices with decals and signage to indicate physical distancing guidelines
- Plexiglass screens at lecterns, classrooms and some work areas
We increased sanitization:
- Installed more sanitizer stations and sanitizing wipes in public locations, reception and administrative assistant desks, suite exit locations, classrooms, meeting rooms and office suites
- Increased cleaning of commonly touched areas, such as light switches, door handles and restrooms
- Extra cleaning and sanitizing throughout the day
- Automatic paper towel dispensers and extra trash cans added to reduce time spent in the restrooms
Although there seems to no evidence that ventilated air increases the risk or carries COVID-19 into other building spaces, we are implementing air-safety measures:
- UV-C lighting system, which kill germs and many viruses and air contaminates our buildings
- More frequently changing air filters in the mechanical air systems; the UV-C lighting system removes particulates to keep mechanical air filters clean
- Increasing outside air volume in each of the mechanical units
Our community and all visitors should follow UNC’s Community Standards, which include guidelines on hand-washing, physical distancing and face masks.