If you’ve been admitted to the online format and you’ve already completed some accounting classes, you may be eligible for course waivers to reduce your total credit requirement. Your prior educational accomplishments are important to us, so we’ve built a procedure to accommodate waiver requests for qualified students.
How It Works
- After you’ve been admitted into the program, you may request a review of your undergraduate and/or graduate academic record to assess your eligibility to waive up to three of the following Master of Accounting courses.
– Introductory Finance (4 credits)
– Federal Income Tax (4 credits)
– Auditing and Assurance Services (4 credits)
– Managerial Accounting (2 credits)
– Advanced Spreadsheet Modeling (2 credits)
- You may only waive a maximum of 12 credits. You’ll need 20 accounting-focused credit hours (see below list).
- Various minimum standards ensure that waivers are granted in accordance with past academic success. You’ll need to meet these standards to qualify for a course waiver.- You completed the course, or a more advanced version of this course, in the past five years, or will have completed it by your first day of classes. (Waiver consideration for courses completed more than five years ago will require a review of your resume by the Associate Dean. Courses completed more than 15 years ago are not eligible for a waiver.)
– You earned a grade of B- or better in the course.
– You took the course at an AACSB-accredited school.
- If you meet the standards, submit your request using the Course Waiver Request Form.
- Once we have received all materials, you’ll receive an e-mail confirmation and, in some cases, an invitation to discuss your waiver request.
We recommend that waiver requests and supporting documentation be submitted within 30 days of submitting your enrollment deposit. All waiver requests and documentation must be submitted before your first day of classes (not counting the Orientation and Leadership Immersion).
To earn your MAC degree, you’ll need at least 20 accounting-focused credit hours from the below list.
If you have any questions related to the waiver process, contact our registrar at AccountingOnlineRegistrar@kenan-flagler.unc.edu.