Creating Your Academic Plan
All MAC students are required to submit an academic plan (and receive approval) before being cleared for registration. You will use the Academic Plan Worksheet to plan out which classes you’ll be taking and which term you’ll take each one in. In addition to being a handy reference for you, these worksheets allow us to accurately estimate demand for future courses, and therefore make sure we’ll have enough seats for the classes you select.
If you need to change your academic plan at any point, please let us know and send an updated copy at AccountingOnlineRegistrar@kenan-flagler.unc.edu. We are always available to help with any plan adjustments. Please note that we require an up-to-date copy on file at all times for registration and course-planning purposes.
- In the top section, after entering your name in the “Name” field, select the following from drop-down menus in the respective fields:
- Whether you’ll be participating in structured recruiting through the program
- Whether your concentration will be Tax or Audit, or neither. A concentration is required if you have selected that you will be participating in our structured-recruiting process. If you have any questions about our concentrations, please contact Lauren DiSclafani, our Assistant Director of Career Services.
- What term you’re starting the program, and when you plan to graduate (maximum of 36 months after you start the program). For the projected graduation date, use the chart below to select the correct month based on the last term you plan to attend – e.g. if your last term will be Jan-20, you’ll select “Mar-20” as the projected graduation date.
||Projected Graduation Date
- To start planning your schedule, review the degree requirements and online course descriptions for each class, the course schedule for class terms, and the course list for any pre-/co-requisites. You should expect to dedicate approximately of 15 hours per week per course. For this reason, we strongly encourage any working professionals to take no more than 8 credit hours in any single term (excluding any immersions).
- In the core section of the worksheet, select a term for each class (excluding the Leadership Immersion and Financial Reporting A, which populate based on your Program Start Date) from the drop-down menus in the “Term you plan to take the course” column. If you have chosen the Tax or Audit concentration, your requirements for that will appear in the concentration section and you can choose a term for each of those as well. Finally, you can select each of your electives (6 credit hours if you have a concentration, or 14 hours if you don’t have one) from the menus in the leftmost column of the electives section, and choose terms for those as well. (As mentioned in step 1 above, a concentration is required if you will be participating in structured recruiting.)
- In the yellow section at the bottom of the worksheet, please fill in the classes you will be taking each term along with their designated credits to make sure you’ve got the full 48 hours necessary for graduation. Please also note any credits waived in cell E51.
- Once you’ve completed the Academic Plan Worksheet, please email it to us at AccountingOnlineRegistrar@kenan-flagler.unc.edu. You will receive a confirmation email from us once we’ve reviewed and approved it.