UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School honored five alumni at its 19th annual Alumni Association Awards ceremony on Nov. 2.
The awards recognize members of the UNC Kenan-Flagler community who personify the School’s core values of excellence, leadership, integrity, community and teamwork.
“We recognize alumni who have distinguished themselves through their careers, their contributions to the broader community, and their service to UNC Kenan-Flagler,” said Douglas A. Shackelford, dean of UNC Kenan-Flagler and Meade H. Willis Distinguished Professor of Taxation. “We congratulate and celebrate them as role models for the next generation of UNC Kenan-Flagler graduates.”
Three Alumni Association Awards were presented:
• Stephen M. Cumbie (BA ’70, MBA ’73) of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, CEO and principal of NVCommercial Incorporated, NVRetail and Metro Realty Group, received the Business School Leadership Award for exceptional achievement in a career field, personal endeavor or service to UNC Kenan-Flagler.
• Allen E. Gant Jr. of Burlington, North Carolina, retired president and CEO of Glen Raven Inc., received the Global Leadership Award for global participation and initiative to advance the School’s education, research and public service mission.
• Scott A. Quilty (MBA ’15) of Fuquay Varina, North Carolina, co-founder and president of MedScribes and co-founder and board president of TentED, received the Dwight W. Anderson Young Alumni Award for leadership in career accomplishments and exceptional commitment to the School.
Two Alumni Merit Awards from UNC Kenan-Flagler’s degree programs were presented to alumni who personify the School’s tradition of excellence:
• Lewis M. Burton (BSBA ’65) of Durham, North Carolina, former senior audit manager at Arthur Andersen & Co. and business advisory consultant
• Vanessa Wittman (BSBA ’89) of Palo Alto, California, director at Sirius XM and Ulta Beauty.