UNC Kenan-Flagler's Student Teams Achieving Results program, or STAR, is a hands-on learning program in which students learn by doing as they take on the role of consultants to real companies. We are redefining the boundaries of consulting and education as we execute a relentless pursuit of learning and business impact. Our goal is become the premier project-based learning experience – internationally recognized by students and clients alike.
STAR sends teams of top MBAs and Undergraduates to build comprehensive and actionable strategies for corporations and not-for-profit organizations seeking to strengthen their competitiveness. Teams are typically comprised of 5-7 students, undergraduates and MBAs (with one of the MBAs serving as the Project Leader). All teams are guided by both a faculty advisor with significant business consulting/corporate experience and an executive from the client organization.
Our mission is to build the leadership, teamwork and problem-solving skills of participating students by providing real clients with fact-based, actionable recommendations that will make substantial improvements in their organization's performance.
STAR sets itself apart from other programs due to the combination of three distinctive elements:
- Talented Student Consultants — from UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA and Undergraduate Business programs;
- Experienced Consulting Faculty — from major consulting firms and Fortune 50 companies; and
- Proven Methodologies — state of the art tools, including the best-selling TEAM FOCUS model.
We seek to become the premier experiential learning program at the Kenan-Flagler Business School and the best in the country.
We offer the following key benefits to our two key constituents – students and clients.
- Brings business school courses to life
- Teaches integration of key analytical frameworks
- Builds two types of leadership skills: thought and people leadership
- Adds relevant experience to the resume
- Provides potential placement with client organizations
- Provides fresh ideas from the brightest young minds in the world
- Offers dedicated analytical review on key strategic issues
- Ensures quality advice by partners with significant consulting/business experience
- Affords direct recruiting access
- Saves significant cost as compared to traditional consulting services
Shown below are a few examples of recent STAR clients.
While experiential learning and company-based projects have been a part of UNC Kenan-Flagler for over 20 years, the formal STAR program launched in 2005. Our goal for 2014-2015 is to complete 12-15 projects.
- Student Teams Achieving Results launches in Spring 2005
- Dr. Lynne Gerber is appointed Director of STAR, expands offering to Spring and Fall semesters
- Global Business Project Consortium launches in 2008, with students from 13 universities
- July 2011, Dr. Paul Friga becomes Director of STAR
- July 2014, Dr. Lynne Gerber retires and Dr. Paul Friga becomes Director of STAR and GBP