Dates: October 5-17, 2014
The Executive Development Institute paves the way for managers and directors who are taking the next step toward strategic leadership. Over the course of this two-week executive management program, you will gain the business knowledge needed to advance your career. The Executive Development Institute:
- Focuses on the knowledge and skills required for successful transition to senior management
- Helps build a strategic understanding of the business as a whole
- Provides a solid foundation of cross-functional business skills
- Accelerates executive development through learning that draws on participants’ work experiences and real-time business challenges – before, during and after the program
- Offers a comprehensive business understanding for executives who are not able to pursue a full-time MBA
- Provides numerous opportunities for experiential learning in a simulated environment
- Is taught by top-ranked MBA and PhD faculty who are chosen for their excellence in applied teaching methods and consulting experience with organizations in a wide variety of industries
Program fee includes accommodations, instruction, materials, and breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Kenan-Flagler’s top-rated, executive conference center.Next »
The Executive Development Institute is for high-potential and mid-level managers or directors who:
« PrevNext »
- Have a minimum of five years of experience
- Want to strengthen their business acumen and cross-functional skills
- Need the core knowledge of an MBA program but cannot commit to long-term study
In the Executive Development Institute you will:
« PrevNext »
- See the business world from the senior executive perspective
- Formulate strategic responses to increasingly global business challenges
- Broaden perspectives on using innovation for competitive advantage
- Understand and analyze financial reporting and data
- Gain the competencies needed to drive organizational change
- Enhance critical thinking and communication skills
- Leverage human assets and accelerate performance
- Put a personal Business Challenge into immediate action
- Earn 7.4 CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
The Executive Development Institute focuses on the following topics:
Strategy Formulation, Implementation and Measurement
- Assessing the global forces that are changing the business landscape
- Formulating and evaluating strategic options
- Using core capabilities to create sustainable competitive advantage
Managerial Leadership and Effective Change Management
Strategic Financial Management
- Executing strategy through people
- Using compensation to drive competitiveness and metrics to enhance performance
- Leading change through the productive use of power, influence and conflict management skills
- Managing change through the effective use of negotiating and decision-making skills
Managerial Financial Analysis
- Understanding the strategic significance of financial information
- Utilizing strategic risk management and corporate governance tools
- Managing capital budgets
Effective Marketing and the Delivery of Service Excellence
- Understanding and interpreting financial statements
- Evaluating financial performance and related cash flows
- Understanding cost structure and the management of costs in budgeting, planning and control
- Using financial information for strategic decisions and the management of scarce resources
Strategic Management of Operations
- Understanding the organizational implications of a "market orientation"
- Discovering how marketing creates shareholder value
- Developing a customer focus
- Converting knowledge about customers into strategy
« PrevNext »
- Identifying high-level operational strategies
- Understanding production processes and their strategic role
- Applying operations management lessons to business units in need of quality and productivity improvement
The Executive Development Institute features many esteemed members of the UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School faculty. Listed below is a sample of the faculty and topics that are typically included in this two week executive management program.
Sridhar Balasubramanian, PhD, is a marketing professor who teaches about building and leading customer focused organizations.
Linda Bowen, PhD, is a professor of accounting who discusses how to use financial information for strategic decision making.
Peter Brews, PhD, is a professor of entrepreneurship and former associate dean of OneMBA who extrapolates on the world economy.
Alison Fragale, PhD, is an associate professor of organizational behavior who focuses on negotiation skills and tactics.
Wendell Gilland, PhD, is an associate professor of operations who discusses achieving operational excellence.
Christian Lundblad, PhD, is a professor of finance who focuses on the new business environment and navigating the new normal.
Mabel Miguel, PhD, is a professor of organizational behavior who discusses taking a leadership role in driving performance with a focus on power, leadership and influence.
Atul Nerkar, PhD, is a professor of strategy and entrepreneurship who teaches about corporate vision, strategy and performance.
Adam Reed, PhD, is an associate professor of finance who teaches about business decision evaluation.
Ben Rosen, PhD, is a professor of organizational behavior who focuses on setting priorities, empowering employees, creating vision and shaping culture.« PrevNext »
The Executive Development Institute is held at the Rizzo Conference Center, our world-class facility in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The Rizzo Conference Center was designed to foster executive management education and is wired for business so we can integrate new technologies into our teaching methodologies.« PrevNext »
Below you will find links to additional information on the Executive Development Institute open enrollment program:
Program Overview of the Executive Development Institute
Sample Schedule for the Executive Development Institute program
Additional Details on the Executive Development Institute program « Prev