UNC Kenan-Flagler offers opportunities for companies and organizations to become clients of closely coached teams of student consultants through the Student Teams Achieving Results (STAR) program. Each year this program serves a variety of partners, from multi-national corporations, to North Carolina-based companies, to not-for-profit organizations.
When you work with our student consulting teams, your organization receives actionable, data-guided recommendations that address a real-world challenge, along with fresh thoughts and perspectives from the best and brightest business minds. Each consulting project receives 1,000 hours of student consultant time and 100 hours of dedicated faculty consulting time.
Projects follow the proprietary TEAM FOCUS methodology, a research-based approach to efficient and effective team problem-solving. Over the life of the project, teams typically analyze the market, assess the competitive situation, develop a strategy and define an action plan that includes financials, risk assessment and a detailed implementation plan.
Because they offer such a valuable real-world learning experience, these consulting projects are highly prized by our students. Teams are constructed through a competitive application process, guaranteeing the client a highly motivated, extremely engaged group of collaborators.
- Highly motivated team working under the guidance of a faculty member who functions as a seasoned consultant for the project
- Delivery of high quality, actionable recommendations from an external perspective
- Fresh ideas from the brightest young minds in the world
- Dedicated analytical review on key strategic issues
- The opportunity to build your employer brand with students
- Cost effective as compared to traditional consulting services
The following are characteristics of the ideal consulting project for our student teams:
- Business challenge is important to top management of the organization
- Involves several functions, e.g. marketing, operations, financial analysis, etc.
- Lends itself to fact-based analysis
- Is challenging but does not require extensive industry experience
A sampling of past clients of student consulting teams include:
- Eli Lilly
- UNC Healthcare
- Li & Fung
- Ronald McDonald House
STAR: Student Teams Achieving Results
STAR (Student Teams Achieving Results) sends teams of 5-7 top MBA and Undergraduate Business students to work on U.S.-based business challenges and build comprehensive and actionable strategies for corporations and not-for-profits. STAR projects take place during the spring semester.
Students participating in STAR receive academic credit for their four-month engagement and are guided by both a faculty advisor and an executive from the client organization. Student teams begin their projects by developing a scope of work with the client and signing a confidentiality agreement.
Download a final STAR deliverable
Contact the STAR Program to discuss how to become a STAR client.