The Marketing PhD program at UNC is a rigorous, four- to five-year program designed to train scholars to produce high-quality research as faculty members at top universities. The PhD program is specifically designed for students who wish to become marketing faculty members at research universities.
Visit the Marketing area website
- During the first two years of the PhD program, students focus on course work in order to develop the tools necessary to produce high-quality research.
- At the end of the first year, each student is expected to ask a faculty member to act as an adviser. This decision has to be based on mutual research interests.
- In the second year, each student writes an original research paper under the supervision of a faculty member.
- By the end of the second year, students take their comprehensive exam. The exam consists of an oral presentation of the student's current research.
- After passing the comprehensive exam, students begin the second part of the program, where they spend the majority of their time working on research.
- In the third year, students focus most of their time on their dissertation. During this process, students benefit from close collaboration with faculty members, and students have the opportunity to present their research during faculty research seminars.
- The rest of the program is spent finishing the dissertation and preparing for the job market process.
- Upon completion of the program, students are awarded a PhD in business administration.
UNC Marketing PhD graduates have gone on to tenure-track positions at a wide variety of U.S. and international universities including:
- Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
- Indiana University
- George Mason University
- North Carolina State University
- Oklahoma State
- University of Florida
- University of Minnesota
- University of North Carolina