Strategy & Entrepreneurship
The Strategy and Entrepreneurship PhD program at UNC is a rigorous, four year program designed to train scholars to produce high quality research as faculty members at top universities. Although some students have completed graduate work prior to entry into the PhD program, it is not necessary to have any graduate training.
Visit the Strategy and Entrepreneurship area Web site
- During the first two years of the PhD program, students focus on course work in order to develop the tools necessary to produce high quality research. Upon entry, each student is assigned to a faculty member who acts as an advisor.
- In the summer after the first year, each student writes an original research paper under the supervision of a faculty member.
- By the end of the second year, students take their comprehensive exam. The exam consists of a written exam covering all of the Strategy courses taken in the first two years of the PhD program and an oral presentation of the student's current research.
- After passing the comprehensive exam, students begin the second part of the program where they spend the majority of their time working on research.
- In the third year, students focus most of their time on their dissertation. During this process, students benefit from close collaboration with faculty members and students have the opportunity to present their research during faculty research seminars.
- The rest of the program is spent finishing the dissertation and preparing for the job market process.
- Upon completion of the program, students are awarded a PhD in business administration.
UNC Strategy and Entrepreneurship PhD graduates have gone on to tenure track positions at a wide variety of U.S. and international universities including:
- Beijing University
- Creighton University
- Indian Institute of Management
- Marquette University
- Michigan State University
- Singapore Management University
- The University of South Wales
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama
- University of Arizona
- University of Hawaii
- University of Illinois
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Tampa
- University of Victoria (BC)