This is a virtual leadership development immersion designed to integrate your professional development with a deep dive into the unique culture, history, and business fabric of a major African country – South Africa. Whilst learning about South Africa, this immersion will give you an opportunity to explore the importance of inclusive leadership, inclusive business, and social entrepreneurship. You will meet and work – online – with young South Africans to explore the challenges and opportunities they face. This learning journey will inform your global awareness, broaden your experience of other cultures, and allow you to hone global leadership skills and attributes. It provides a powerful lens for considering the current challenges facing society and businesses in America and elsewhere in the world. The program comes to life through unique and innovative approaches to learning: virtual experience, context-rich design thinking, and in-depth conversations with peers in a completely different part of the world.
Program objectives include:
- Developing your personal leadership skills and practices in alignment with your career aspirations
- Gaining insight into and thinking critically about the role of inclusive leadership in the South African and African contexts — and consider its applicability at UNC and in your future work environments
- Understanding the potential and importance of inclusive business and social entrepreneurship in developing contexts and consider their relevance for the USA and other countries – with particular reference to establishing equitable, truly inclusive, economies and organizations
- Exploring the complex inter-connectedness of business, government, and society in a developing market economy and how this affects organizations and managers
To foster these learning objectives, you will:
- Explore South Africa’s cultures, history, economy, current affairs, and other aspects of its business context through a series of team-based online and offline quests
- Engage in conversations with South African thought leaders about inclusive business and social entrepreneurship
- Work on a design-thinking team project for a South African social enterprise
- Interact with young South Africans in small groups – online – about their lived experience of South Africa and key program topics
- Participate in off-the-beaten-track cultural and social activities possibly including a private virtual safari, and an in-person braai experience (South African style BBQ)
The program is led by Lecturer Dave Bond, Executive Coach, Change Consultant, and International Facilitator, in collaboration with a team of South African faculty.