Thank you for your interest in the Master of Accounting (MAC) Program at UNC Kenan-Flagler. If you are interested in pursuing a rewarding career as an accountant, or if you’d like to bolster your resume with critical new skills and credentials, we encourage you to apply now.
It's easy to get started.
Don't worry, we'll do this together in just a few easy steps. Our graduate program doesn't have prerequisites and it's open to anyone, regardless of your undergraduate major or professional experience. Start by choosing your format, then take a few moments to read over our requirements and begin your application.
If you have any questions, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.962.3209. We’re here to help every step of the way.
>> Create an account and start your application
>> View, or download, our application checklist (PDF)
Decide on the format that's best for you.
1. On-campus: Open to students who have no more than 12 credits of accounting coursework. A 12-month, full-time program geared toward non-accounting majors. On-campus students start the program in June. to see the on-campus curriculum.
2. Online: Open to all students, regardless of your undergraduate major or coursework, including accounting majors. A flexible program completed in 12-36 months, depending on your desired pace, with an opportunity to incorporate an optional winter internship at an accounting firm. Starting in 2018, online students can start the program in January, March, June, and September. to review a sample curriculum for the online format (a 15-month duration with an internship, focused on an audit concentration, starting in January).
Start your application.
It's easy to apply online. Gather your personal information, set aside some quiet time, and apply to UNC. You may even be eligible for an application fee waiver.
Here are a few things you'll need and what you'll need to do:
1. Choose the on-campus or the online program format: Whether you prefer to learn online or on campus, the degree you receive is exactly the same.
2. Upload your unofficial transcripts: We need a record of all of your undergraduate classwork. We only need your unofficial transcripts. Simply upload them during the application process.
3. Choose your recommendation letter writers: Choose two authors that know you reasonably well and can provide honest feedback. After you make your selections, we will conveniently contact for you. View/download "Choosing Recommenders Who Can Sing Your Praises" (PDF).
4. Upload your Statement of Purpose: We want to know why you want to earn a Master of Accounting degree from UNC Kenan-Flagler. Why is accounting or finance the right career for you? View/download "Writing a Powerful and Compelling Statement of Purpose" (PDF).
5. Upload your resume or provide a link to your LinkedIn profile: Your resume or profile should include your educational, employment, and achievement history with headings and dates. View/download "Crafting a Rock-solid Resume" (PDF). Or, view/download "Applying to the UNC MAC with your LinkedIn Profile" (PDF).
6. Provide your GMAT/GRE score or status: Indicate on your application if you qualify for (A) an exemption or (B) waiver consideration. Or, provide (C) your test score or (D) the date you plan to take the test.
Option 1 (Exemption): A GMAT/GRE score is not required for UNC-Chapel Hill undergraduate students and alumni that have earned a cumulative UNC-Chapel Hill undergraduate GPA of 3.40 or higher within the past five years.*
Option 2 (Waiver): You may request consideration** for a GMAT/GRE waiver if you meet all of the following criteria:
- A cumulative undergraduate or graduate GPA of at least 3.00 or higher
- Five years of professional or military experience, with demonstrated career progression, which may include years during a graduate degree from an accredited institution
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Option 3 (Test score): If you’ve already taken either the GMAT or GRE, congratulations! You may submit the score you prefer within the application, we’ll only evaluate your best score. Our school codes for the GMAT are D40-HL-00 (online format) and D40-HL-13 (on-campus format). Our school code for the GRE is 0348.
Option 4 (Future date): If you plan to take the GMAT/GRE at a future date, you may still submit your application. Simply provide a date when you plan to take the test. We’ll send you helpful tips, reminders, and suggestions as you near the big day. Good luck! Download our prep guide, "Tips and Tricks: Scoring Big on the GMAT/GRE".
>> Read our article "Why your test scores and your GPA matter?"
7. Send us your TOEFL scores (international students only): If English is not your native language and you did not complete your undergraduate degree in a native English-speaking country, you’ll also need to take the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Academic. Our institution code for the TOEFL is 3474.
8. Submit your completed application: All finished? Outstanding. Submit your completed application and pay the application fee.
Here's what you should expect once you have submitted your completed application.
Get interviewed: We want to meet you. After a preliminary screening of applications, the MAC Admissions Committee selects finalists to be invited for personal interviews. Applicants are contacted via email to schedule an interview after their application is complete. Business attire is expected for the interview. Click here to learn more about business attire. Download our interview preparation guide, "A Checklist for Success". And, check out our fellowship tips, "How to Put Yourself in Line for a Merit-Based Fellowship."
Get a decision: We're just as eager as you are to make our selections final. Decisions are often made on a rolling basis. Please apply early to have the best opportunity for fellowship and financial aid assistance.
It's easy to get started. You can set up an account in about an minute and then take your time to craft the perfect application, returning as needed to the application portal.
>> Create an account and start your application
Need more help?
You can contact us directly at email@example.com or 919.962.3209.
If you need to reach us in person or by mail, you'll find us here:
UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School, 300 Kenan Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
We look forward to reviewing your application!
* Cumulative UNC-Chapel Hill GPA may not be rounded (e.g. 3.398 does not qualify) and must include at least three semesters of full-time UNC-Chapel Hill studies with at least 36 credits completed and graded at time of MAC application submission date. Alumni must have had their UNC-Chapel Hill undergraduate degree conferred within five (5) years of MAC application submission date. Alumni who graduated more than five years ago should apply via the GMAT waiver process. In rare instances, the Admissions Committee may request additional information to evaluate your analytical aptitude and experience.
** Meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee a waiver will be granted. You will apply for the waiver within the application.