The MBA Family Enterprise Focus is intended to prepare students for leadership in their family firms. It will complement their MBA coursework by providing a lens with which to view other academic disciplines. Students also may choose to couple this Focus with a Concentration in another area of interest.
Students will be able to customize this Focus to create a learning plan that will address the strategic vision of their family firms and that will build upon their individual strengths. A key benefit is a robust network of peers and family business leaders that will be a resource both during and after their Kenan-Flagler MBA experience.
MBA Focus Requirements
To receive a certificate of completion for the Family Enterprise Focus, MBA students must complete a total of five (5) courses for 7.5 credits from the following list:
Required: Two Courses (total of 3.0 credits)
- MBA 843A: Family Business I: Introduction to Family Enterprise (Steve Miller & Cooper Biersach)
- MBA 843B: Family Business II: Governance & Ownership in the Family Firm (Steve Miller & Cooper Biersach)
Electives: Minimum of three courses (total of 4.5 credits):
- Managing Change, Conflict and Self (Tim Flood)
- MBA 794: Private Wealth Management (Rob Mallernee & Jack Parham)
- MBA 823: Leading from the Middle (Dave Hofmann)
- MBA 835: Introduction to Entrepreneurship (Atul Nerkar)
- MBA 828: Strategic Innovation (Atul Nerkar)
- MBA 880P: STAR/ Leadership Project (Paul Friga)
- MBA 807: Leadership Immersion
- MBA 846J: Business Plan Analysis (Randy Myer)
- MBA 817: Venture Capital Valuation and Deal Structure (Mitch Mumma/John Glushik)
- MBA 843: Entrepreneurship through Acquisitions: Structuring your Buyout (Clay Hamner)
- MBA 846A: Private Equity (Clay Hamner)
- MBA 846K: Startups: Ideas, Passion, and Intellectual Property (Andy Grubbs)
- MBA 847: Sales Management (Dave Roberts)
- MBA 848A: Launching the Venture: Opportunity (Patrick Vernon)
- MBA 848B: Launching the Venture: Feasibility (Patrick Vernon)
- MBA 848C: Launching the Venture: Business Planning (Randy Myer)
- MBA 848D: Launching the Venture: Financing (Ted Zoller)
- MBA 805: Corporate Strategy (Richard Bettis)
The coordinator for the Family Enterprise Focus is . Please contact her with questions.
Students interested in the Family Enterprise Focus also will benefit by availing themselves of the following FEC resources.