"The entrepreneurship program is excellent and offers top-notch training and opportunities."
I hope to do a STAR Global Business Projects in China for two weeks. I plan to spend the rest of the summer working for Retirement Planning Services, Inc., helping my father grow his business. I will also likely be involved in several consulting projects for the Wellspring Group, a leadership development non-profit.
- BA, materials engineering, Auburn University
- Worked in China (2002-2006) with International Professional Resources for China, an NGO that placed English teachers at Chinese universities, developed student leaders, and facilitated cultural immersion programs
- Attended Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Boston (2006-2008) and led the Park Street Church's homeless outreach program on Boston Common
- Worked in summer 2007 for a consortium of churches that were partnering with World Relief International in Mozambique to do health, agricultural and educational initiatives
My wife's and my dream is to help to connect people at the bottom of the economic pyramid to markets where they can use their skills and talents to grow their communities and bless their families. We hope to mobilize churches to help make this happen, both socially and economically. I will likely work for some time in financial services. That will help me to build capital and connections and begin to partner with like-minded individuals and organizations.
Why I chose UNC
- We wanted a place where my wife Emily and new-born son Andrew would thrive.
- The entrepreneurship program is excellent and offers top-notch training and opportunities.
- The MBA program pushes students to think about the impact of business decisions on all stakeholders, not just the bottom line.
- The Leadership Initiative helps students develop holistically.
- The faculty are both thought leaders and incredibly accessible.
- Leadership Advisory Board
- Entrepreneurship and General Management Club liaisons
- All Saints Church and the MBA Christian Fellowship
- STAR Projects (both domestic and global projects) – to build business experience and learn more about entrepreneurship
My experience of the MBA program at UNC
- The professors are incredibly bright individuals who know how to draw the best out of students. They are leaders in their fields and some of the smartest people in the world, yet they are surprisingly accessible.
- My classmates have been a tremendous help since Andrew (my new-born son) was born. It's amazing to see the sense of community at UNC.
The UNC Kenan-Flagler network
Every alum that I have contacted has gotten back to me within 24 hours and has ended the conversation by reminding me that if there is anything more that they can do, to contact them. I also have the opportunity to be coached by an executive mentor, which I am very excited about.