PhD Degree Requirements
PhD in Business Administration degree requirements:
|Business Fundamentals: courses in your major area of concentration
- The level of competence should be roughly equivalent to the MBA core courses.
- Most students entering with an MBA or similar degree meet this requirement without additional course work.
- You will need to take the appropriate courses if you do not meet this requirement prior to beginning the program.
- You may need to take specific courses to meet specific requirements (e.g. finance).
|Economics: microeconomic and macroeconomic theory
|Research Methods/ Quantitative Methodologies: minimum five courses (15 hours) in Research Methods and Quantitative Methodologies.
- One course must be in research methods covering topics such as philosophy of science, research design, sample selection, etc.
- Three courses must focus on quantitative methodologies. These include statistics, operations research, econometrics, etc.
- One course may be in specialized research methods (e.g., survey research, lab experimentation) or other quantitative methodologies topics.
- During the summer and fall following the first year, you must complete a research paper.
- The paper will be evaluated and approved by the student's faculty.
- The paper's purpose is to give the student important research experience, as well as research and writing skills.
- Most papers are presented later at professional meetings, and many lead to publication.
- Some papers develop into dissertations.
- You must pass a written comprehensive examination after completing your course work. This usually takes place at the end of the second year.
- Some areas may require an oral examination in addition to the written exam.
- The exams are from your major area of concentration as well as relevant material from the other requirements.
For each of the following you need to dedicate a semester:
- Work with faculty on the development of your teaching skills.
- Serve as a teaching assistant.
- Serve as a research assistant.
- You must complete a dissertation in order to graduate from the program.
- In most cases, the dissertation proposal is completed during the student's third year in residence, and the dissertation is completed during the fourth year.