True leaders generate positive change in the world. They rally people around a cause. Inspire teams to success. Motivate, not just direct. The UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA experience is a continual cycle of learning, practice, feedback and reflection on the principals that form the foundation of true leadership.
Learn more about Executive MBA Career Management
Learn leadership principles
- Leadership core courses: You will learn leadership theory and principles through core courses, including Developing Leadership and Management Skills, Ethical Aspects of Management and Management Communication.
- Workshops and seminars: Your learning continues through leadership and career-building workshops, including Learning From Leaders, an open discussion with successful executives.
- Leadership elective courses: Weekend and Evening MBA students can choose from a wide range of leadership elective courses. Two of the most popular, Values-Driven Leadership and Negotiations, are included in the Global OneMBA curriculum. After graduation, you can take unlimited leadership and other elective courses for a nominal fee.
Apply leadership principals through practice
- Teambuilding: Collaboration and teamwork are integrated into UNC’s MBA culture and curriculum. As in the business world, your success will depend on your team working together to complete course projects.
- Networking: As an EMBA student, you’ll be invited to alumni events, including the annual Executive Alumni Series, a weekend packed with workshops, speakers and networking events. You'll have access to UNC Kenan-Flagler's alumni database, where you can search and post jobs, connect with career advisers and network with UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni.
> More on UNC Kenan-Flagler Alumni Network
- Leadership and management simulations: You will participate in hands-on simulations that mirror real-life leadership challenges.
- EMBA Project: The EMBA Project is an elective course offered to Weekend and Evening MBA students. This project gives you the opportunity to make a significant contribution to your organization and demonstrate your leadership abilities to your senior management.
Gain feedback on your leadership skills and progress
- Individual, peer and management assessments: You’ll gain insight on your leadership abilities through 360° feedback from your peers, staff and managers. Throughout the MBA program, you’ll participate in other personal and peer assessments so you can track your progress. This feedback will be invaluable as you develop and refine your Professional Development Plan (PDP).
Reflect and develop action plans to grow as a leader
- Professional Development Plan (PDP): You will capitalize on your leadership feedback by creating your PDP, which includes specific, actionable steps you will take to enhance your leadership skills and advance your career.
- Executive Coaching: Professional executive coaches provide one-on-one coaching sessions to prepare EMBA students to take on executive roles within their companies.
- Career coaching: Our director of career management provides individual career coaching to students and alumni seeking leadership roles. You can discuss career strategies and receive guidance on crafting your resume and preparing for interviews, performance reviews and salary negotiations.
- Leadership and career workshops: You'll build leadership skills through workshops on networking, marketing yourself within your company, mastering interviews and preparing for executive roles.
- Recruiting Access Program: If you are conducting or planning a job search, you may be eligible for the Recruiting Access Program.