Leadership & Your Career
Learn leadership principles at The Luther H. Hodges Center for Leadership at UNC Kenan-Flagler
- Leadership core courses: You will learn leadership theory and principles through core courses, including Developing Leadership and Management Skills, Ethical Aspects of Management and Management Communication.
- Leadership elective courses: Weekend and Evening MBA students can choose from a wide range of leadership elective courses. Two of the most popular, Leading in the Middle and Negotiations, are included in the Global OneMBA curriculum. After graduation, you can take unlimited leadership and other elective courses for a nominal fee.
Apply leadership principles through practice
- Teambuilding: Collaboration and teamwork are integrated into UNC Kenan-Flagler’s MBA culture and curriculum. As in the business world, your success will depend on your team working together to complete course projects.
- Networking: As an EMBA student, you’ll be invited to various networking events. You'll also have access to UNC Kenan-Flagler's alumni database, where you can connect with career advisers and network with UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni. > More on UNC Kenan-Flagler Alumni Network
- Leadership and management simulations: You will participate in hands-on simulations that mirror real-life leadership challenges.
Gain feedback on your leadership skills and progress
- Individual, peer and management assessments: You’ll gain insight on your leadership abilities through 360° feedback from your peers, staff and managers. Throughout the MBA program, you’ll participate in other personal and peer assessments so you can track your progress. One of these assessments includes the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) benchmark survey, a world-renowned global leadership development tool. This feedback will be invaluable as you develop and refine your Professional Development Plan (PDP).
Reflect and develop action plans to grow as a leader
- Professional Development Plan (PDP): You will capitalize on your leadership feedback by creating your PDP, which includes specific, actionable steps you will take to enhance your leadership skills and advance your career.
- Executive Coaching: Professional executive coaches provide one-on-one coaching sessions to prepare EMBA students to take on executive roles within their companies.
Program-Specific Executive-Level Leadership Development
In addition to the extensive leadership and career services outlined above,
- Weekend Executive MBA students will also receive ongoing executive coaching from a certified executive coach throughout their time in the program. Weekend MBA students will meet one-on-one with their coach at least six times throughout their MBA experience to deep dive into their leadership development and thread together their learning experiences over time. All certified coaches follow a specific coaching regimen outlined by UNC Kenan-Flagler Career & Leadership Services to ensure a consistent, high-quality and impactful leadership development experience for every student.
- Global OneMBA students will immerse themselves in executive leadership development designed specifically for global leaders. As part of UNC Kenan-Flagler’s educational consortium with other Global OneMBA schools, the best Leadership and Organizational Behavior professors have collaborated to design this exclusive leadership development experience. Students will enjoy a core global leadership curriculum and will work with a certified executive coach with global experience twice during the program. In addition, students will have unlimited access to the UNC Kenan-Flagler Career & Leadership Services staff, who are also seasoned coaches.