Chicago Booth wins 9th annual MBA investment competition hosted by UNC Kenan-Flagler
MBA students from leading business schools battled for the top spot in the premier investment management competition hosted by the University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School Nov. 15.
Now in its ninth year, the Alpha Challenge pits MBA teams against each another as they present one long and one short investment recommendation from a predefined universe of stocks. They defend their analysis in front of a panel of distinguished judges who are hedge fund managers, institutional portfolio managers and equity research analysts.
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business won first place. The Yale School of Management and the University of Virginia Darden School of Business finished second and third, respectively.
Teams were fielded by:
- Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business
- Columbia University, Columbia Business School
- Cornell University, Johnson School of Management
- Dartmouth College, Tuck School of Business
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT Sloan School of Management
- New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
- University of California Berkeley, Haas School of Business
- University of Chicago, Booth School of Business
- University of North Carolina, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- University of Michigan, Ross School of Business
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School
- University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
- Yale University, Yale School of Management
The event featured a keynote address from Bruce Johnstone, managing director and senior marketing investment strategist for Fidelity Investments.
The leading investment professionals who served as judges for the 2013 Alpha Challenge were:
- RJ Bukovac, William Blair & Company
- Ryan Burgess, T. Rowe Price
- Ebrahim Busheri, Manning & Napier
- Brian Campbell, The London Company
- Richard L. Chilton, Jr., Chilton Investment Company
- Brian Coyle, Loomis, Sayles & Company
- Dan Crowe, William Blair & Company
- Andrew Davis, T. Rowe Price
- Jack Fraser, Seamark Capital
- Richard Graziadei, TIAA-CREF
- Dennis Greenway
- Charlie Hebard, Fidelity Asset Management
- Jim Jones, William Blair Investment Management
- Steve Kapp, Maverick Capital
- Scott Marolf, American Century Investments
- Zachary Merriman, Capital Group
- Xan Moore, Carlson Capital, L.P.
- Kaitlyn Murphy, Capital Group
- Win Murray, Harris Associates L.P.
- Kevin Nicholson, Capital Management
- Ron Rimkus, CFA Institute
- Douglas R. Rogers, Eaton Vance Management
- Simon Rosenberg, Snow Capital Management
- David Rowlett, T. Rowe Price
- Tripp Rudisill, Spartan Capital Advisors LLC
- Mike Schneider, Equity Analyst, Artisan Partners
- Paul VeZolles, WEDGE Capital Management
- Kevin Walenta, Fidelity Asset Management
- Richard Weiss,Wells Capital Management
- Stephen Yacktman, Yacktman Asset Management
Sponsors were Fidelity Investments, Carlson Capital, SAC Capital, T. Rowe Price, CFA Institute, William Blair, American Century Investments, Manning & Napier, Capital Group and FactSet.
For more information, visit www.alphachallenge.com.