UNC Kenan-Flagler offers new “Summer Business Immersion” for undergraduates
A new summer program will immerse undergraduate college students from around the world in business studies at the University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School.
“We hope to attract students from around the globe and across the United States,” said Julia Kruse, executive director of the UNC Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER). “Our goal for this unique for-credit program for undergraduate students is to provide knowledge and experiences that will help them develop as future successful, responsible business leaders.”
The five-week “Summer Business Immersion” will be held June 18 –July 27, 2012, at UNC Kenan-Flagler and include:
- “Entrepreneurship & Business Strategies” and “Financial Modeling” courses
- “U.S. Business Insights,” a series of activities that includes presentations by UNC Kenan-Flagler professors and guest speakers, company visits and leadership skills development
- An orientation program
- A weekend trip to Washington, D.C.
- A networking event with U.S. business people
- Cultural, sports and other activities
- Housing in UNC's historical landmark, the Old East residence hall
The entrepreneurship course will include meetings with serial entrepreneurs, team work to develop a business plan for students’ ventures, and practice of presentation skills to make a business pitch. The finance class will be taught in UNC Kenan-Flagler’s state-of- the-art Capital Markets Lab, which provides a real-world setting for students to use information and complex analytical tools to manage assets and add value for future clients.
Application deadline is March 9. To be eligible to participate, students must have completed a courses in corporate finance and financial accounting, and be proficient in using computer spreadsheets. UNC CIBER at the Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise is hosting the summer program.
For more information, see http://www.ciber.unc.edu/summerbusinessimmersion.
For more information, contact:
Program information: Julia Kruse, , 1-919-962-4929
Media contact: Allison Adams, , 1-919-962-7235