STAR Energizing Spruce Pines:
One STAR team turned a town's passion into its livelihood.
STAR Projects are focused on large companies or not-for-profits who recruit our students. Organizations whose projects are accepted for the program benefit from the help of students who are skilled at working with others and whose interests and expertise match the needs of each project. Our graduate and undergraduate business students have met rigorous criteria in order to be admitted to one of the nation's very best business schools. Many of our students come from business backgrounds; our MBA students work an average of 5 years prior to entering the MBA Program.
At Kenan-Flagler, we have developed a special approach to STAR projects. The methodology is based on extensive research on efficient and effective team problem solving. We work closely with the members of the client team over the course of the 4 month project to drive toward meaningful recommendations that are implementable. Shown below are the stages of our process:
Source: The McKinsey Engagement: A Powerful Toolkit for More Efficient and Effective Team Problem Solving (Friga, 2008)
We offer the following key benefits to our two key constituents – students and clients.
- Brings business school courses to life
- Teaches integration of key analytical frameworks
- Builds two types of leadership skills: thought and people leadership
- Adds relevant experience to the resume
- Provides potential placement with project organizations
- Provides fresh ideas from the brightest young minds in the world
- Offers dedicated analytical review on key strategic issues
- Ensures quality advice by partners with significant consulting/business experience
- Affords direct recruiting access
- Saves significant cost as compared to traditional consulting services
For more information about STAR, please contact Dr. Paul Friga, Director of STAR, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 919.962.3786