How To Apply & Eligibility
STAR is open to all US companies and not-for-profit organizations.
The companies chosen pose an opportunity or problem for the student team to address which...
- Is important to the top management of the organization
- Involves several functions, e.g. marketing, operations, financial analysis, etc.
- Lends itself to fact-based analysis
- Is challenging but does not require extensive industry experience
Also required are two senior executives at the organization to work closely with the STAR team to create the project's scope of work, provide pertinent data, respond to and critique team recommendations and progress, and provide feedback to the team and faculty advisor at the project's completion.
Clients also will pay the $20,000 program fee to cover the program costs associated with the STAR project, plus team expenses (team expenses include travel and client-requested project aids, such as databases or surveys).
Organizations applying for STAR:
- Are typically organizations that recruit, or are targeted to recruit- at Kenan-Flagler or are projects that will be valued by recruiters as building/honing skill sets that are relevant to jobs for which recruiters seek to fill
- Are companies with multi-year track records; start-ups are typically served in the school's Starting New Ventures curriculum rather than the STAR program
To submit potential STAR projects, please apply here.
All Kenan-Flagler Business School students interested in participating in STAR should demonstrate in their application that they have taken other courses and/or had experiences that have provided significant opportunities for team problem solving. A required course to participate in STAR is the Consulting Skills and Frameworks course (BUSI 554 or MBA 828). You must have already taken the course or be taking it concurrently with the STAR project. Other examples of good academic or practical experience include an APPLES service learning course, a project management course, and summer internships in consulting or business, with hands-on teamwork.