Success will come through diversity, innovation and collaboration.
UNC-CH faculty, students, and staff are a source of innovation and business acumen that can be used to advance North Carolina economic development. The Kenan Institute
—a hub for entrepreneurs, inventors and innovators—offers connections, support and information. In conjunction with our partners, we help you take an idea to market.
Concierge Service for Entrepreneurs
This resource for all UNC-CH entrepreneurial activities provides a full range of assistance to transform innovative ideas into technology driven products. We work with novice to expert entrepreneurs, offering:
- A project coordinator to help navigate the process from beginning to end and across all UNC-CH departments.
- Analytical reports on patent landscapes, technical literature, and potential licensees and customers.
- Real-time consulting on the market, industry, and competitors.
- Referrals to university contacts for Conflict-of-Interest issues within UNC-CH and with grant funding agencies.
- Assistance in applying for grants and other funding.
- Recommendations to partners for prototyping.
- Introductions to a network of mentors, partners and C-level executives.
- Advice from experienced entrepreneurs and leading academics on a business development plan.
- Space for collaborating and working with advisors.
Our interest in the discipline and performance of sport is based on the recognition of its importance as a critical economic driver and marketing mechanism, particularly in our region; the values it represents (teamwork, discipline, drive, leadership, role playing, fairness), and the opportunities available to all students regardless of experience and socio-economic background. We welcome partnership (instructors, experiential education, focus groups, pitch judges or advisors) with entrepreneurs–from start up to mature–to help Kenan Institute Sport achieve its mission. These efforts include:
- A track in Sport Entrepreneurship under the UNC-CH College of Arts and Sciences Entrepreneurship Minor which includes four courses and an internship.
- A celebration of national leaders in the field through the Sport Innovators and Entrepreneurs Awards. The inaugural event is in the planning stages, scheduled for 2014.
- A study of the economic impact of sport in our state through an inventory of North Carolina sport-related businesses.
- A Sport Analytics Summit to foster collaboration and identify best practices among business professionals, researchers and students around the growing role of big data and analytics