The Forensic Accounting Distinguished Professor
"I love coming into teaching each fall rejuvenated with fresh ideas, and I always leave the semester having learned something new from the students. It's a win-win for the students and me."
Research, teaching and impact on business
Bushman's research is changing the face of public accounting:
- Research that examines the role of financial accounting in corporate governance and the functioning of capital markets around the world
- Groundbreaking studies that illuminate the central role financial accounting information plays in disciplining corporate behavior
- A study in which his team investigated how the structure of publicly reported financial information differs across countries - with surprising findings:
- "Corporate transparency" varies widely from nation to nation (corporate transparency is a measure of the public availability of firm-specific information about publicly traded firms)
- Corporate transparency is actually comprised of two fundamental aspects -"financial transparency" and "governance transparency."
- Financial transparency ranks highest in nations with low government ownership of business, low state ownership of banks and a low risk of government seizure of private wealth.
- Governance transparency runs highest in countries with a strong legal code and judicial system.
"The analysis unveiled the hidden structure of transparency," Bushman says. "It was actually one of those miraculous research moments."
What makes the UNC Kenan-Flagler student experience special
Bushman thinks UNC Kenan-Flagler stands out for its academic energy. "I love coming into teaching each fall rejuvenated with fresh ideas, and I always leave the semester having learned something new from the students. It's a win-win for the students and me."
Finding his calling
Bushman didn't know what he wanted to do in college. But then he took an accounting course and was "hooked." He became a CPA and eventually returned to school for his PhD. Now, he says, he loves to "search around the universe hunting down interesting data sets."
Read his full bio here.