We realize that the majority of students who come to business school are career switchers. At UNC Kenan-Flagler we have extensive resources to help you evaluate where you want to be in five, ten or fifteen years. We provide a range of experiences that help you identify and explore career options best matched to your goals, interests and abilities.
Below are some of the resources available to MBA students looking to secure internships and full-time employment.
At UNC Kenan-Flagler we have extensive experience and resources to help you reflect on the characteristics of your work environment that are
most important to you, and evaluate where you want to be in five, ten or fifteen years. We provide a range of resources that help you identify
and explore career options best matched to your preferences, goals, interests and abilities.
CareerLeader™, an in-depth self-assessment instrument, was developed after twelve years of research and is used by
130 MBA schools around the world. This self-assessment tool:
- Provides expert assessments of your unique pattern of business-related interests, values and abilities
- Provides a personalized report that recommends specific business career paths to investigate and shows how you match with that career
- Teaches you how to integrate and use the information you've gathered about yourself
- Provides in-depth views into 27 business careers, including information about the interests, rewards and abilities associated with each one
- Evaluates your entrepreneurial attributes
- Teaches you how to analyze corporate cultures and recommends which organizational cultures are likely to be best for you
We believe practice makes perfect. Which is why at UNC Kenan-Flagler, we make sure you have multiple avenues to prepare for interviews. Career workshops are one of the many resources available to you.
Career Management Center workshops: The CMC provides information sessions and training workshops on job search basics that provide UNC Kenan-Flagler students with valuable insights on how to navigate their MBA career search. The CMC organizes the following information sessions/workshops:
- Writing an effective MBA resume and cover letter
- Job search strategies
- How to work a career fair
- Communicating the value of your MBA
- Recruiter correspondence
- Salary negotiations
- Preparing for a successful internship
- Marketing yourself and your summer experience
Employer workshops: Ever wondered what recruiters look for in an interview? We bring in recruiters from different industries to answer those questions. Recruiters conduct workshops that focus on a variety of topics ranging from interviewing techniques to case interview methods. You will also have several opportunities to sign up for mock interviews with recruiters from many major companies. In addition to the workshops and mock interviews, you can also have in-depth one-on-one conversations with recruiters during company specific ‘office hours’.
Career Club workshops: Collaboration is key to the UNC Kenan-Flagler community. Our second-year students at UNC Kenan-Flagler are extremely eager to share their experiences, making the student-run career clubs a valuable resource when preparing for your dream job. Through weekly workshops, second-year students share their experiences on a number of subjects including drafting your resume and cover letter, key resources for your career search, the internship experience and factors that differentiate firms.
Industry workshops: UNC Kenan-Flagler also offers career preparation through industry partners for students interested in specific functional career paths:
- Finance Professional Development Program: In order to prepare students for careers in finance, the CMC offers seminar classes throughout the year from Training The Street, the same organization that trains employees at top Wall Street firms. Financial training seminars cover a wide range of topics and help our students prepare for finance interviews and future positions.
- Marketing Development Program: The Marketing Development Program (MDP) has been carefully crafted to supplement the strong traditional classroom-based learning approach at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School. These innovative programs are developed by premier marketing organizations and career experts. This holistic learning approach provides an additional channel to keep UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA marketers at the vanguard of brand innovation.
- Consulting Development Program: The MBA consulting curriculum at UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School is designed to teach foundational skills in an experiential environment. Students learn analytical and strategic thinking, team leadership and client management skills through real world client engagements. The focus on experiential learning ensures that UNC Kenan-Flagler students are prepared to have an immediate impact in generalist, specialist or internal consulting roles.
Individual Career Counseling
Career Management Center Advisors: We know how important your career search is to you. Every UNC Kenan-Flagler student has the opportunity to work individually with a Career Management Center (CMC) Director to develop a personalized plan of action. CMC directors, experts in their functions, work closely with MBA recruiters and leverage these interactions to make you the top candidate for employers. We understand that international students face unique challenges, and our CMC directors provide counseling tailored to your needs. Most importantly, CMC directors are always available for individual counseling.
Not sure if you’re interested in marketing or consulting? At UNC Kenan-Flagler, CMC directors work with you to make sure you explore every opportunity, across industries and functions. CMC directors for different industries will work with you to ensure you have all the information you need to choose the right career.
“Having worked as a consultant before coming to UNC Kenan-Flagler, I originally thought consulting was the best option for me. However, I became more interested in marketing along the way. Abby, Mike and Amy (CMC Directors) worked tirelessly to help me prepare for both consulting and marketing interviews. Today, I am excited to be spending my summer in Atlanta as a brand management intern.”
- Harsh Gupta, Class of 2013, Intern at Georgia-Pacific
Alumni Advisors: UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni are committed to helping you prepare for your future career. Our Alumni Career Advisors prove community is a core value of our program by providing advice and assistance with everything from resume critiques to job leads.
“My alumni advisor was extremely helpful and eager to help me in my career search. In addition to talking to me about career options, he also gave me valuable suggestions on developing my skillset to prepare me for the new stage in my career.”
- Zhonghua Huang, Class of 2013
“I have had a great experience with my alumni advisor. She has been going out of her way to help me out and to introduce me to people that will add value to my job search process. For example, when I told her I was going to be in NY for a career trek, she invited me to dinner and introduced me to some of her friends that work in my industry of interest. I am very grateful for her support and I hope I can do the same for another student after I graduate.”
- Francisco Maia, Class of 2013