Business professionals can gain a distinct competitive advantage from knowing other languages and understanding the cultures where that language is spoken.
It takes work – consistent, methodical work – over a period of time to function in any target language. Our WORKING Languages™ courses use a unique combination of business-focused teaching materials, instructor-led workshops, interactive technology, and conversation hours with native speakers and that produce culturally sensitive speakers who function effectively and comfortably in the target language’s workplace.
Kenan-Flagler undergraduates and second-year MBA students are able to register for Working Language courses. Courses run for an entire semester.
- Spanish (beginners & intermediate)
- Portuguese (beginners)
- Mandarin (beginners)
- Custom designed materials, including special textbooks, business cases, oral presentations and other activities designed with the needs of the professional in mind
- Part A (fall semester) covers Units 1-3, teaching grammar and vocabulary organized around building business relationships, daily work routines and social interactions
- Part B (spring semester) covers Units 4-6, continues grammar and vocabulary instruction organized around meetings and management challenges. The final 1/3 of the semester is entirely devoted to customized student projects
- Limited class size meeting once a week with an instructor, and once a week with a ‘conversation coach’
- Special activities including guest presentations and a "mini-mission" immersion exercise
- Internet-based assignments using either Quia or the Canvas platform
Questions? Contact Stephanie Peterson, the Associate Director for Academics in the MBA program,
This program is partially supported by a Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) grant from the U.S. Department of Education.