Reed Loughrey (Emeritus member), Tara Flickinger, Betsy Matthew, Adele McLean, Mary Moore Hamrick, Candice Brown, Anna Wilds, Steve Wolf, Row 2 - Scott Jones, Ken Epps, Nathan Andrews, John Murchison, Steve Kass, Allison Phillips, Darius Davis, John Ellis, Dean Doug Shackelford
Cristina Buckfelder, Render Dahiya, Cesar Elizondo, Rodgers Harshbarger, Carrie Johnstone, James Le Vela, Jim Low, Quinton Maynard
A letter from Darius Davis, Alumni Council Chair
Our May, 2014 meeting was held at the Rizzo Center on a beautiful Chapel Hill spring day. The evening before, Alumni Council members gathered at R&R Grill on Franklin Street for social time. A special treat on Friday evening was the performance of the Hartzellbreakers, a wonderful bluegrass band comprised of UNC Kenan-Flagler faculty Dave Hartzell and Patrick Vernon, and director of development, Rachel McNassor.
Our meeting on Saturday, May 17 began with a welcome to all members, especially to new Council members Mary Moore Hamrick (MBA/JD ’87) of Alexandria, VA, and Betsy Matthew (EMBA ‘95) of Durham, NC.
The focus of our meeting was an extended panel discussion around Admissions at UNC Kenan-Flagler, and how alumni can assist. Council member Steve Wolf moderated a panel consiting of the following Admissions staff from the School:
- Sherry Wallace, Director of Admissions for the fulltime MBA program
- Beth Flye, Director of Admissions for MBA@UNC
- Leslie Melton, Admissions and Recruitment Manager for the Undergraduate program
- Jeff Terry, Executive Director of Alumni Relations, represented the Admissions staff for the Executive MBA programs (Evening, Weekend and Global) and the Masters of Accounting program (MAC).
Each panelist spent time reviewing their Admissions goals, along with unique challenges they face. As a result of our discussion and interactions the following action items are now underway:
- A portal and website will be built to gather Admissions referrals from alumni for the various programs. Within this website, there will be information provided that is distinctive to each program, so alumni can make informed choices on the best program for their referred candidate.
- A new area of the Kenan-Flagler Alumni Online Community will be prepared to inform alumni of the many ways they can engage with the School. A substantial portion of our discussion revolved around increasing alumni engagement in general.
The goal is to have both of these action items completed by the beginning of the upcoming academic year.
After joining us for lunch, Dean Doug Shackelford shared his thoughts and perspectives on the state of KFBS since becoming Dean on Feb 1, 2014.
I would also like to note that once again our Council has stepped up in support of Kenan-Flagler. 100% of our Council membership have made their annual gifts to the School for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014.
As always, the Alumni Council welcomes any input from fellow alums on topics of interest for future discussion.
Darius L. Davis (MBA ’94)
Alumni Council Chair 2013/2014
Previous Alumni Council Articles:
Alumni Council Meeting – November 2013
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2013
Alumni Council Meeting – November 2012
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2012
Alumni Council Meeting – November 2011
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2011
Alumni Council Meeting – November 2010
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2010
Alumni Council Meeting – November 2009
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2009
Alumni Council Meeting – November 2008
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2008
Alumni Council Meeting – October 2007
Alumni Council Meeting – May 2007
Alumni Council Inaugural Meeting – November 2006
UNC Kenan-Flagler Alumni Council Announced