Transfer students are an integral and vibrant part of the Carolina community. They bring a wealth of diversity and experience and enhance the overall experience for all students, faculty and staff. In the UNC Kenan-Flagler Undergraduate Business Program, we understand that transferring is a complex process and have outlined the below policies and guidelines to help transfer students make informed decisions and achieve as smooth a transition as possible.
Transfer students must first be admitted to UNC Undergraduate Admissions prior to applying to the Undergraduate Business major or minor. Students must spend at least one semester (fall) in the College of Arts and Sciences before they are eligible to start at the business school.
Junior transfer students are defined as anyone transferring to UNC-Chapel Hill entering their fifth term of residence in the fall semester.
- Must complete all business school prerequisites before they are eligible to start in the Undergraduate Business Program. Students are allowed to have at most one business school prerequisite remaining by the end of the term before they matriculate in the business program. While not required, please know that summer school might be a good option for some students as many of our prerequisites are offered in the summer months.
- Have the option of applying to the business major for the Sept 1st round (for spring admission); or they can apply for the Oct 1st round (fall admission) if they are willing to take an additional 9th or 10th semester to complete the business degree. You must have at least 3 full semesters at Kenan-Flagler to complete the business major.
- Are encouraged to consider the undergraduate business minor over the undergraduate business major, if they find they do not have enough time to complete the prerequisite courses and/or to complete the business major. Business minors receive all of the benefits as business majors (alumni network, access to our global program opportunities and career development initiatives, etc.), are highly sought after by recruiters and achieve the same employment placement rates as business majors.
- Should know that admission to the Business School is extremely competitive. We only admit approximately 50 percent of our applicants each year. Please review our eligibility requirements and our class profile. Given the undergraduate business application process, students who are currently enrolled in business programs at other four-year institutions should think carefully about their decision to leave these programs.
- Should submit a Transfer Equivalency Credit Review form for business courses as soon as you accept your spot at UNC (you will be prompted to submit a course syllabi with this form). While most transfer equivalencies will be determined through Undergraduate Admissions, the business school makes all decisions on business class transfers. You should allow up to three weeks for a decision.
Undergraduate Social Media