For General Issues
For Transfer Students
For Visiting International Students
When do I apply?
The online application opens on July 1. You should plan on working on your application throughout the summer and must submit your application in the fall semester. Application deadlines are posted on our external website.
How do I apply?
Students who have completed their first year at UNC and admitted transfer students are welcome to access our application via the Apply page of our web site.
When will I be told if I am admitted?
If you applied for Spring Admission or are a GLOBE applicant, you will be notified in late October. If you applied for Fall Admission, you will be notified in early January. For exact dates, visit our Events and Deadlines page.
Should I apply for Fall or Spring Admission?
Spring Applicant Profile:
- Junior transfers and sophomore applicants must have all prerequisites completed with a C or higher before the spring semester.
- Applicants with most of their prerequisites completed before the beginning of the previous fall semester will be given preference.
- Spring applicants tend to have a GPA that is higher than the typical class average of 3.6.
- Applicants applying to the GLOBE program must apply for the spring term.
- Spring admission is most competitive; applicants will receive an admit, deny or deferred to fall decision.
Fall Applicant Profile:
- The typical sophomore applicant will have completed all prerequisites with a C or better by the end of spring semester.
May I apply for both Fall and Spring Admission?
No, students may only apply for either fall or spring, not both. If a student applies for spring but is select for admission, the Admissions Committee may defer this student to fall admission where their application will be evaluated against other fall applicants. The Admissions Committee may also decide that the applicant is simply not competitive enough for the program and deny admissions at that point.
What is the GLOBE program and should I apply?
GLOBE candidates should consider the following when applying for admission: The program offers students the ability to study business on three continents at three top partner schools (UNC Kenan-Flagler, Copenhagen Business School and the Chinese University of Hong Kong) with a group of outstanding peers; undertake regionally focused coursework and study trips; and develop a worldwide network of current and future business leaders.
GLOBE Applicant Profile:
- GLOBE applicants are considered for Spring Admission to the Undergraduate Program. The top 30 applicants will be invited to interview for the program. Only 50-60 percent of those interviewed will be selected to participate in the program.
- GLOBE is for business majors only.
- Due to the length of the program, only second-year students are eligible to apply.
- Students must finish all business prerequisite requirements (with a grade of C or above) no later than the fall of their sophomore year.
- Successful candidates will enroll in 10.5 hours of business major courses in the spring of their sophomore year and will attend a comprehensive series of pre-departure sessions.
- The GLOBE program is competitive, and admitted students typically have a GPA above the class average of 3.6.
- Applicants must have a keen interest in international business with an openness to learning in foreign environments for extended periods.
- Students from all backgrounds, including those with no prior international travel experience, are encouraged to apply.
- The GLOBE Program entails a two-year commitment from pre-departure activities in the spring of sophomore year, to spending the entire junior year abroad, to the UNC GLOBE semester in the fall of senior year. Summers are free for internships, summer study or independent travel.
- Applicants should research the program, including estimated costs, and discuss with their family. GLOBE is an exchange program where, for the semesters abroad, students pay UNC tuition and fees, but travel and living expenses are higher than the costs of attendance in Chapel Hill.
- More information on this unique opportunity can be found on the GLOBE website.
- Students not admitted to the GLOBE Program could receive one of the following other decisions: Admit (Spring), Defer to Fall or Deny.
May I apply for the GLOBE Program as well as for Fall Admission?
No, students applying for GLOBE may only apply for Spring Admission. Students not admitted to GLOBE Program could receive one of the following other decisions: Admit (Spring), Defer to Fall or Deny.
When will I be told if I am admitted?
If you applied for Spring Admission or are a GLOBE applicant, you will be notified in late October. If you applied for Fall Admission, you will be notified in early January.
Do I need to complete prerequisites prior to applying?
We know that you may not be able to complete prerequisites at the time of application. Prerequisite courses must be completed prior to the start of classes for the term you are admitted. Students applying for Spring Admission must have all of their prerequisites completed in the previous fall semester. Students applying for Fall Admission must have all of their prerequisites completed by the previous spring semester. Students with the majority of their prerequisites completed at the time of application will be given preference.
What are the prerequisite courses for admission, and what grades do I need?
See prerequisite details for majors or minors. A final grade of C or better (not C minus) must be earned in each prerequisite course.
Do I need to repeat a course if I receive a C?
No, you should not repeat courses that you pass. In addition, you should not repeat a course more than one time.
How is my application evaluated?
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- UNC-Chapel Hill academic performance
- Performance in business prerequisite courses
- Leadership potential
- Effective communication skills (both written and oral)
- Analytical skills
- Extracurricular activities and work experience (defining impact)
- Community service
- Transfer school quality and academic performance
- Strength of character
How do I construct a resume and personal statement?
There are several resources on campus to help you prepare a strong application. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of these resources. For help with your resume and personal statement, please refer to the University Career Services website that has been constructed specifically for business students. UCS has both in-person and virtual resources to help you with your application throughout the summer months.
How do I write strong application essays?
The UNC Writing Center is an excellent resource for students applying to the business school. A handout describing how to write an effective essay may be found at: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/application-essays. This website also will connect you with in-person and virtual assistance if necessary.
Will you interview me for admission?
Yes. Interviews are a required and important component of the admissions process. All students who apply will be invited to interview. We will send you information on how to sign up for an interview after your application is submitted. Please be sure to keep checking your UNC email account for important information.
How many applicants are admitted?
We admit approximately 350 majors and approximately 50 minors.
What is the average GPA of admitted applicants? Do I need a minimum GPA to apply?
- The average GPA for the class is typically about 3.60.
- Any student in good standing may apply.
- We give preference to applicants with a GPA of at least 3.0.
May I take an upper-level business course prior to admission?
We do not recommend it, but you may take one course early. Simply request permission in person one week before classes start.
Are business courses taken at another university transferable?
Perhaps. Please refer to the Credit Review form for details. Note that you are limited to a total of 14 credit hours of business transfer credit, and only three upper level courses (BUSI 400-700) may apply toward the Undergraduate Business degree.
May I reapply if denied?
Yes, students who are denied admission may reapply. It is important that you are able to show significant changes in your reapplication, which may include more extracurricular leadership experience, more focused short-term and long-term career goals, stronger GPA and/or new relevant work experience. Reapplicants are strongly encouraged to complete the optional essay to describe the changes since the first application.
May I transfer directly into the undergraduate business program?
No. You must first gain admission to UNC-Chapel Hill and spend at least one semester in the College of Arts & Sciences before you may begin the Undergraduate Business Program. For information on admission to UNC-Chapel Hill, contact Undergraduate Admissions.
Are the business courses I took at my previous institution(s) transferable?
Perhaps. Please refer to the transfer course equivalency form for details. Note that you are limited to a total of 14 credit hours of business transfer credit, and only two upper level courses (BUSI 400-700) may apply toward the Undergraduate Business degree.
Do I have enough time to complete the Undergraduate Business degree?
Perhaps. For some transfer students, completion of the degree may require summer school classes. There is a new policy where some transfer students can request an additional 9th or 10th semester; this additional time could make the degree more of a possibility for transfer students.
Can I be a visiting student if my university does not have a partnership with UNC Kenan-Flagler?
Unfortunately, no. For reasons of space, we accept only students officially nominated by a partner institution.
If I enjoy studying at UNC Kenan-Flagler, can I then transfer and obtain an Undergraduate Business degree?
UNC Kenan-Flagler does not accept transfer students, so this is not possible. If you wish to study here for longer than one semester, that must be agreed with your home institution prior to application.
How many classes do I take?
Visiting Exchange Students may take as many as 12 hours, with up to three credits coming from departments outside of UNC Kenan-Flagler.
How will my grades transfer?
This is decided by your home school.
Will I be able to take the all the classes I want?
We will try to get you into the classes you seek, but it is often not possible to find space in every class you want to take. We will advise you on this, but you should be prepared to be a little flexible with your class needs.
Does my university have an agreement with UNC Kenan-Flagler?
- Bocconi University, Italy
- Center for European Studies, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Chulalongkon University, Thailand
- Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- EPSCI at ESSEC, France
- Korea University Business School, Republic of Korea
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Peking University, China
- Pontifica Universidad Catolica, Chile
- Rotterdam School of Management, The Netherlands
- Thammasat University, Thailand
- University of Economics, Czech Republic
- University of New South Wales, Australia
- University of Otago, New Zealand
- ESADE, Barcelona, Spain
- ICADE, Madrid, Spain
- WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management, Germany
- Manchester Business School, England
Agreements are pending with schools in Spain, England and Germany.