MPA 1997, BSBA 1995
Vice President of Governmental Affairs, 2005
North Carolina Citizens for Business and Industry (NCCBI)
"From infrastructure to capital, worker training needs to leadership, the education I received at Kenan-Flagler has proven invaluable in helping me in my goal to make this a better place to live."
Professional career highlights
- Chief of Staff, Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight
- Assistant Director, Hurricane Floyd Redevelopment Center. Appointed by then Gov. Jim Hunt. State Division of Emergency Management created the center
- Coordinator, state and federal recovery efforts in eastern North Carolina
- Basnight's Administrative Assistant for Policy and Research, Interim Director of Communications, Director of Research and Special Projects, and Chief of Staff
What he does
Blizzard began working for Basnight as an intern. He was promoted several times while he earned two UNC degrees.
Blizzard serves as a lobbyist for NCCBI, the state chamber of commerce and state manufacturing association. He is also staff for the group's Council of Local Chambers and for its public policy committees on tax and fiscal policy and environmental concerns.
What attending business school at UNC helped him achieve
My education at the Business School in Chapel Hill has been instrumental in my career path.
- For almost a decade now, I have had a keen interest in economic development in our state and most especially the rural areas of our state - my own home town.
- In my role as Chief of Staff to the President Pro Tempore of the North Carolina Senate, I had a strong understanding of the unique partnership that business and government so often form in helping to provide a higher quality of life in the community.
- Now in my role as a lobbyist for business and industry, I have been able to utilize the gift of communication that allows me to advocate for those policies that help to foster a better business climate in our state. And everyone knows a better business climate translates into a higher quality of life.
The Business School provided me with a practical working knowledge of what it takes to make business succeed - at the public and the private level. From infrastructure to capital, worker training needs to leadership, the education I received at Kenan Flagler has proven invaluable in helping me in my goal to make this place a better place to live.