The Global Business Center offers for-credit Working Spanish courses for MBA and undergraduate business students enrolled at UNC Kenan-Flagler.
Working Spanish for MBAs is offered at two levels:
- Beginner – for students with little to no background in the language
- Intermediate – for students with one to two years of prior language training
"Part A" of both courses is held in the fall semester and covers Units 1-3 from the textbook. "Part B" in the spring covers Units 4-6. An optional joint immersion to Costa Rica is held over the MBA program's spring break.
Working Spanish for UNC undergraduates (BUSI 200) is a one-semester course offered at the Intermediate level. Students should have prior experience in the language equivalent to completion of Spanish 101 and/or 102. Students in this course are required to attend the immersion trip to Costa Rica, which is held over the undergraduate spring break.
- Beginners (MBA): Both Part A (fall) and Part B (spring) meet on Monday evenings from 6 to 7:15 pm. Conversation hours will be set to accommodate the students’ schedules.
- Intermediate (MBA): Both Part A (fall) and Part B (spring) meet on Tuesday evenings from 6 to 7:15 pm. Conversation hours will be set to accommodate the students’ schedules.
- Intermediate (Undergraduate): Consult the undergraduate bulletin for current day/time.
Previous Working Languages immersion participants have overwhelmingly reported finding the program more valuable than classroom time when it comes to speaking the language and understanding its cultural context. Although students are not required to go on the immersion, we strongly encourage everyone taking the course to attend. The immersions provide an incredibly valuable and memorable experience.
The Working Spanish immersions feature
- Homestays with local families in Heredia, Costa Rica
- Customized language instruction offered by Centro de Idiomas Intercultura
- Company visits which in the past have included Atlas Industrial, Siropes la Mundial, Café Britt
- Cultural excursions and activities, such as cooking and dance classes, visits to the National Institute of Biodiversity, Arenal volcano, Tabacón Hot Springs, rainforest canopy tours, and more
- Community service project with local orphanage
Course Materials & Technology Requirements
The course e-textbooks in CDs are exclusively produced by the UNC CIBER. They are available at the first workshop of each semester.
Students also make extensive use of an Internet classroom on UNC's Canvas for weekly deliverables. Students must have
- IBM compatible or Apple computer with built-in capacity to play MP3 files
- Internet access (MAC operating system 10.2 or better, Internet Explorer 5.2 or better or Netscape 4.78 or better.
- A microphone (built in or attached)
For MBA students: Working Spanish Part A and Part B offer 2.5 credits each. The optional immersion earns students an additional 1.5 credits.
For Undergraduates: 4.5 credits. Students must participate in the immersion to receive credit for the class.
MBA Student Fees
- Instructional fees: The course is covered by tuition.
- Activity Fee: A $90 nonrefundable fee for special course activities is due at the beginning of each semester.
- Immersion fees (not including airfare) are approximately $2,500 (subject to change).
Undergraduate Student Fees
Consult the Undergraduate Business Major website for current information.
How to Register
Second year MBA students and undergraduates can register for Working Spanish as they would for any open elective.
First year MBAs, however, require special permission to take any Working Languages course, due to the demands of the first year program of study. Fill out this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Maria Elena Rodriguez, Director of Working Languages, at
This program is supported by a Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) grant from the U.S. Department of Education.