WORKING Portuguese™ equips participants with no prior knowledge of the language to develop the basic communication skills and cultural knowledge needed to function in a work environment where Portuguese is spoken. The course is geared towards UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA students. However, BSBA students, UNC faculty and staff, and others may be given permission by the instructor to enroll.
Both Part A (fall) and Part B (spring) Working Portuguese meet on Wednesday evenings from 5 to 6:15 pm. Conversation hours will be set to accommodate the students’ schedules. Part A covers Units 1-3 from the textbook, and Part B covers Units 4-6. The optional immersion program in Brazil will be held during the MBA program’s Spring Break.
Previous Working Languages immersion participants have overwhelmingly reported finding the program more valuable than classroom time when it comes to speaking the language and understanding its cultural context. Although students are not required to go on the immersion, we strongly encourage everyone taking the course to attend. The immersions provide an incredibly valuable and memorable experience.
The Working Portuguese immersions feature
- Homestays with local families
- Customized language instruction
- Company visits, which in the past have included Kaiser, Incepa
- Cultural excursions and activities such as samba classes, visits to Botanical Gardens, a tour of Rio, and more
- Community service project
*A minimum of 10 students is required to hold an immersion trip
Course Materials & Technology Requirements
The course textbook, WORKING Portuguese
(Georgetown University Press), was written by UNC Chapel Hill’s Dr. Monica Rector (Romance Languages) and Dr. Lynne Gerber (Kenan-Flagler Business School). The textbook comes with an audio CD containing recordings of vocabulary and dialogs from the book. Students should purchase their textbook (available through the publisher’s web site, Amazon.com, etc.) before the first class meeting.
Students also make extensive use of a Quia web site keyed to the textbook where weekly deliverables are assigned. Students must have
- IBM compatible or Apple computer with built-in capacity to play MP3 files
- Internet access (MAC operating system 10.2 or better, Internet Explorer 5.2 or better or Netscape 4.78 or better.
- A microphone (built in or attached)
For MBA students: Working Portuguese Part A and Part B offer 2.5 credits each. The optional immersion earns students an additional 1.5 credits.
- Activity Fee: $90 nonrefundable fee for special course activities is due at the beginning of each semester
- Quia registration: $25 paid directly to Quia.com, the online site that hosts assignments and weekly deliverables
- Immersion fees (not including airfare) are approximately $2,500 (subject to change)
How to Register
Second year MBA students can register for Working Portuguese as they would for any open elective.
First year MBAs, however, require special permission to take any Working Languages course due to the demands of the first year program of study. Fill out this form and email it to .
Need more information? Contact Maria Elena Rodriguez, Director of the Working Languages program, at .