The Global Business Center at the UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School increases the global competence of business students, faculty and staff, thus advancing U.S. global competitiveness with a focus on the emerging markets of India, China, and Brazil.
- Expand research and knowledge of best global business practices
- Increase global business competencies in students
- Develop educators and staff to prepare students for the global marketplace
- Assist companies to increase their global competitiveness
The Global Business Center comprises UNC's Center for International Business Education and Research, which is one of 33 such centers across the U.S. designated by the U.S. Department of Education, and the Obama-Singh 21st Century Knowledge Initiative by the United States-India Educational Foundation.
The Global Business Center seeks to provide the most integrated, intensive, and impactful global business education program among UNC Kenan-Flagler's peer institutions, with a focus on emerging markets.
Our Definition of Global Competence
Globally competent individuals are:
- aware of global sociopolitical systems and trends and their impact on business operations.
- able to adapt their own communication styles to other cultures and can positively impact globally diverse teams as a member or leader.
- willing to break out of their own cultural comfort zone for in-depth interaction with the local population.
- proficient in at least one foreign language.
Our Core Values
We, the members of the Global Business Center community, strive for the very highest standards in everything that we do. We challenge each other to produce only excellent outcomes, to continuously look for ways to improve our programs, to show uncompromising dedication to those we serve, and to bring out the best in all those we work with.
We will provide innovative leadership in global business education and increase the global capacity of Kenan-Flagler students, faculty, and staff, as well as business professionals.
We cultivate an environment of honesty, sincerity and trust in which we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards. We believe integrity is the foundation of all moral character and is an essential trait for truly successful professional and personal lives.
We create at the Global Business Center and among our constituents a unique atmosphere of collaboration, mutual support and genuine interest in each other's success. We embrace our diverse mix of cultural, language, professional and personal experiences as constant opportunities for growth and unite through teamwork that strengthens our ability to achieve the Center's goals.
As a partially federally funded Center, the Global Business Center has a special responsibility to serve not only the people of North Carolina, but also the entire U.S. We function as a national resource by sharing knowledge, best practices, and research and providing access to information for a broad population through technology.